The New Albany Elementary School Spelling Bee was held on Nov. 7. The winners advance to the Union County Spelling Bee in January. Pictured are l-r: Dakoyta Lesure, 2nd Place; Jill Gafford, 1st Place; and William Sloan, 3rd Place.
Tag Archives | featured
By Dennis Clayton Coach Scott Duley’s East Union Urchins showed their grit, determination and heart as they rallied from a 34-21 deficit and scored two fourth-quarter touchdowns to win 35-34. Coach Duley said “They (Urchins) played an amazing game. They didn’t quit, we just played a team that was more athletic than us and our […]
By J. Lynn West Pam Browning Boman and Rob Anderson will face each other in a run-off election Nov. 26 to see who wins the Union County coroner’s post. In unofficial results Tuesday, Boman received 22.4 percent of the vote compared to Anderson’s 17.51 percent. The run-off is necessary because no candidate got more than […]
Early Christmas Santa visits with two unidentified shoppers Monday to ask about their Christmas wishes.Santa came to town early as part of the News Exchange’s annual Peek into Christmas feature. Look for more photos of Santa’s visit to local businesses and other locations in the Nov. 28 special Thanksgiving shopping edition.
Zombie costume winner: Sylvia Russell Ole Miss Cheerleader Zombie, with Main Street Manager Vickie Duke Group costume winner: Evil to Angel (names were not available of individuals in the group) Handmade costume winner: Abra Floyd Adult costume winner: Jake Russell Pet costume winner: T-Man Ages 10 and Up costume winners: 1st Francisco Guerrero, […]
By J. Lynn West Thanks to a $110,000 grant from the Toyota Wellspring Education Fund, Tammy Kirkland’s fourth-grade class at New Albany Elementary has almost limitless learning possibilities The money has provided Thinkpad laptop computers for all the students in the class, which they are incorporating into their daily studies. “We appreciate the generosity of […]
By J. Lynn West Ceremonies Sunday formally marked the opening of Tanglefoot Trail, the 44-mile walking and bike path that runs between New Albany and Houston. A rails-to-trails project, the trail follows the path the train engine known as the Tanglefoot followed, which also was the traditional Chickasaw trail route. The ceremonies began at New […]
by Dennis Clayton East Union duplicated their hit total in their round two playoff series against Riverside on Saturday as they pounded out 15 hits during each game. The Lady Urchins now advance to the 2A North Championship on Tuesday in a matchup with Baldwyn. Game one of the series was marred by countless walks […]
The Union County School District is presenting “Shrek-The Musical” this weekend. Based on the popular movies, the musical version will be performed Friday, Oct. 18, at 7:00 p.m.; Saturday, Oct. 19, at 7:00 p.m.; and Sunday, October 20, at 2:00 p.m. It tells the story of an ogre, his donkey pal and a princess beautiful […]
It’s time to step back into the Past Lane at Heritage Pioneer Days at the Union County Heritage Museum this Saturday. It’s always a fun-filled living history weekend as the event starts on Thursday and continues through Saturday, with Thursday and Friday set aside for classes and Saturday open for the general public. There will […]
- Saturday is deadline for voter registration for Nov. 3 election September 30, 2015
- Supervisors get update on debts owed to county October 2, 2015
- Witt named to NEMCC Hall of Fame October 2, 2015
- Low unemployment rate continues for county October 2, 2015
- Second Rubber Duck Regatta called success October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins drop Mooreville from unbeaten ranks October 3, 2015
- Saturday noon is voter registration deadline October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins secure division title with win over Baldwyn October 2, 2015
- Fast start gives Urchins win in division opener October 2, 2015
- Accolade for Baptist October 2, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on