By J. Lynn West The Union County Board of Supervisors approved the 2013-14 budget this past Thursday with no tax increase, although the budget is up 1.41 percent. County Administrator Terry Johnson said most parts of the budget show little change from the past year. One exception is income from licensing, commissions and other sources, […]
A traditional part of Tallahatchie RiverFest each year is the creative displays done by local garden groups. This year, Master Gardeners Janet and Tim Burress, left, and Lisa and Pat James created ‘The Beverly Hillbillies,’ headed for RiverFest in front of the welcome center. The display is made of assorted materials including wood, hay, gourds […]
Somehow I got a few minutes behind schedule Friday night and was late arriving for the New Albany High School football game at Kitchens Field. My wife, Jenny, points out that my definition of late arrival is way different than hers. The first time we went to an Ole Miss game, we were standing in […]
The New Albany Board of Aldermen has taken the first step toward development of a public swimming pool to serve our community. The board, in its new budget approved last week, authorized $10,000 for a feasibility study for a New Albany pool. In our mind, the question to be decided in the feasibility study is […]
Brittany Taylor singles in the first inning for West Union. Taylor collected four hits on the day to lead the Lady Eagles as they defeated Ingomar 14-5 in their 1A division matchup. Photo by Dennis Clayton by Dennis Clayton West Union wasted little time denting the scoreboard as they picked up three runs in the […]
The City of New Albany’s Board of Aldermen voted last Tuesday to approve its proposed budget that includes three percent salary increases for most of the city’s employees. While the city’s budget includes a 4 percent increase in spending for the coming year, the city also expects to see an increase in revenue at the […]
Following a demand from State Auditor Stacey Pickering’s office that former Union County Coroner Mark Golding pay back $398,418.83 to county and state agencies, the case will now head to Circuit court. According to District Attorney Ben Creekmore, his office will receive case files from special agents with the state auditor’s office and then submit […]
The long-awaited official opening of the 44-mile Tanglefoot Trail is finally here. Board of directors for the GM&O Rails-To-Trails Recreational District of North Mississippi announced Monday afternoon the Tanglefoot will officially open thirty minutes prior to sunrise, approximately 6:43 a.m., this Saturday, Sept. 21. “We’re excited to officially open this trail for the public’s enjoyment […]
by Dennis Clayton The ending to Friday’s football game between Amory and New Albany was bizarre to say the least, but at least Chris Brown didn’t take the time to try to figure everything out. All Brown did was react to a loose football after New Albany’s field goal attempt to win the contest was […]
SPORTS CALENDAR Thursday September 12 Softball Hickory Flat at Myrtle – 5:00 V/JV East Union at North Pontotoc – 5:00 JV/V New Albany at Shannon – 5:00 West Union at Mantachie – 5:00 JV/V Volleyball New Albany at Potts Camp – 5:30/6:30 Friday September 13 Football Amory at New Albany – 7:00 Saturday September 14 […]
- Saturday is deadline for voter registration for Nov. 3 election September 30, 2015
- Supervisors get update on debts owed to county October 2, 2015
- Witt named to NEMCC Hall of Fame October 2, 2015
- Low unemployment rate continues for county October 2, 2015
- Second Rubber Duck Regatta called success October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins drop Mooreville from unbeaten ranks October 3, 2015
- Saturday noon is voter registration deadline October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins secure division title with win over Baldwyn October 2, 2015
- Fast start gives Urchins win in division opener October 2, 2015
- Accolade for Baptist October 2, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on