Myrtle and West Union will meet today in an important Division 2-1A softball game at West Union. Myrtle comes into the game with a perfect 3-0 record, hoping to stay atop the division while West Union is fighting desperately to stay in the playoff conversation. Myrtle won the first meeting 9-7 at Myrtle as West […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
BY DENNIS CLAYTON EAST UNION – The Lady Urchins of East Union needed only five innings to down Mantachie 10-0 to take their Division 1-2A opener. East Union took the lead early and used the combination of steady defense and Sallie Pannell’s pitch location to shutout the Lady Mustangs. “I told these kids, last year […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON East Union went long on doubleheader opponents Walnut and Wheeler as they hit six home runs, taking the sweep on Monday as they downed Walnut 11-1 in five innings and dropped Wheeler 17-1 in four frames. The Lady Urchins had 13 hits in the first game of the day against former division […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ELLISTOWN – East Union missed some scoring opportunities early and Strayhorn eventually had too many offensive weapons for the Urchins as the Mustangs took a 28-7 win on Friday. “They were physical and that’s the most physical bunch we’ve played this year,” East Union Head Coach Kevin Walton said. “They were showing […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ECRU – The numbers were exceptional for the top five batters in the East Union order: 15 runs scored, 15 hits plus four homers by four different batters as the Lady Urchins defeated north Pontotoc 17-4 in five innings. The Lady Urchins blew open a 4-3 advantage after one inning with a […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ELLISTOWN – East Union dominated possession and the line of scrimmage during the first half of action against Thrasher on Friday and led 14-0, but the Urchins had to brace for a second half offensive surge by the Rebels to earn the win 34-20. “I told them (East Union) at the half […]
NEW ALBANY – In their first home game of the 2015 season, the Bulldogs walked away with a win. It was a close one, a 27-24 final, but one a long time coming for New Albany. The last time the Bulldogs defeated Pontotoc was in 2013, when the senior class were sophomores and the juniors […]
FULTON – New Albany won the turnover battle on Friday, but a second half filled with miscues, penalties, and stalled offensive play saw the Itawamba Indians take the 45-28 win. Indians senior quarterback Vijay Miller passed for over 250 yards during the game, tossing three touchdown passes and running a fourth while Bulldogs quarterback […]
The New Albany Park Commission announces registration for its 2015 Soccer Season. Registration is going on now and will run through Friday, August 21, 2015. The fee is $45 per child, ($40 per each sibling). All registrations must be done in person at the Sportsplex office located inside BNA Park. For more information cal (662) […]
Dye named Coach of the Year after impressive bowling season BY DENNIS CLAYTON – New Albany coach Wayne Dye was recently chosen as the Mississippi Association of Coaches Bowling Coach of the Year for the 2014-15 season. Dye has guided the Bulldog bowling program since its inception three years ago. “It was an honor to […]
- Supervisors get update on debts owed to county October 2, 2015
- Columbus Day holiday won’t affect most services October 7, 2015
- City school board updates policy on overnight, other field trips October 7, 2015
- Kirk defeats cancer through faith in God, family October 7, 2015
- State Main Street president says local program one of best in state October 7, 2015
- Community Health Fair October 9, 2015
- Aldermen act to restrict limit downtown parking, yard sales October 9, 2015
- Aldermen act on several items but subdivision, sign, metal siding ordinances still not settled October 9, 2015
- Hospital ‘Tree of Love’ offers opportunity to honor others and help patients October 9, 2015
- Master Gardener Pat James becomes pumpkin man October 9, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on