By Dennis Clayton Coach Dorothy Denton hopes that a strong first month of competition will benefit her cross country team. New Albany starts the running season at Pontotoc and then travels the next Saturday to Saltillo. Both meets will feature some of the best teams and individual runners in the state. Coach Denton will enter […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
By Dennis Clayton Coach Nathan Tidwell begins his first year as West Union cross country coach and one area that his team is not lacking in is numbers. At present the numbers are at 30 and counting. Included in that number is Savannah Shirley, former 1A State Champion of 2011. Shirley had another strong showing […]
By Dennis Clayton Coach Nathan McLellen looks to his three senior boys to provide the experience and leadership for this year’s cross country team. “I’ve got Brett Rakestraw, Jonathan Valle and Christian McLellen that had a lot of success. They’ve won two state championships, won some division championships and won some county championships. “We will […]
New Albany Volleyball Enters Second Year By Dennis Clayton Coach Shay Ashford leads her Lady Bulldogs into year two of competition. This time around, the team will have some experience as the inaugural team gained experience match by match on the hardwood. This year’s team is loaded with seniors and some of those are Erin […]
By Dennis Clayton Coach Shane Sanderson will have a mix of experience and youth in 2013 Lady Bulldogs. The team will have four seniors to look to for leadership: Lauren Cavender, Megan Dye, Lauren Boyd and Destini Knox. Cavender will pitch again for New Albany, Coach Sanderson stated that “Lauren does a wonderful job on […]
By Dennis Clayton Coach Lisa Bogue’s West Union Lady Eagles will be loaded with playoff experience as most players played on the team that made it to the North Half championship in slow pitch last season. Many members played on the fast pitch team that was runner-up in the Class 2A State championship. Seniors on […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal The wins and losses start to count in two weeks. This weekend though is a good appetizer for the MHSAA football season. A lot of teams are playing jamborees on Friday – New Albany at Kossuth and Tupelo at Itawamba included. There are a lot of teams and a lot […]
The long awaited, much anticipated time of the year is at hand. We begin fall sports in our high schools afresh and anew this weekend. Actually, East Union got us started last weekend, although they were only allowed two and a half innings of play in softball due to the weather. They did lead Tupelo […]
SPORTS CALENDAR for week of August 15 – 21 Friday August 16 Football New Albany at Kossuth (Jamboree) Saturday August 17 Softball West Union Preseason Classic Tournament New Albany vs Ingomar – 9:00 New Albany vs Myrtle – 10:15 Oxford vs Ingomar – 11:30 Hickory Flat vs Myrtle – 12:45 Oxford vs West Union – […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal New Albany has a lot on its to-do list. The Bulldogs can finally start checking things off. Eight months of waiting for the high school football season is over. Mississippi High School Activities Association members can start football practice today. Week 1 starts with basics for the Bulldogs, working on […]
- County still trying to find solution to likely loss of jail trusties June 24, 2015
- Museum Madness registration underway July 1, 2015
- Groundbreaking for museum expansion will be Thursday July 1, 2015
- Man faces series of auto burglary, theft charges July 1, 2015
- Holiday weekend schedule changes include rare Saturday circuit clerk opening July 1, 2015
- Spring cleaning? Well, sort of July 1, 2015
- Honoring our nation July 1, 2015
- City school board adopts no-tax-increase budget, makes money-saving deals July 1, 2015
- Supervisors discuss funding Tupelo women’s shelter, industrial tax exemptions July 1, 2015
- Circuit clerk’s office to be open for voting Saturday despite holiday July 1, 2015
- Ian Somer: I always considered our education standards to be ...
- Edwin Montenegro: Yeah welcome to south American toyota. We love you...
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...