By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange Kevin Williams has set high standards for Ingomar’s cross-country teams this season, in part because of local rivalries. “Union County has excelled in cross-country, and Ingomar has one of the youngest programs in terms of the number of years we’ve been running and have been participating,” said Williams, […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange Myrtle head coach Chris Greer is optimistic about his cross-country squad’s potential this year. The Hawks will regularly run against some of the fastest teams in Class 1A North, including county-rivals Ingomar and West Union, as well as Hickory Flat, which moved down this season from Class 2A. […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange A few key relocations has head coach Josh Blythe feeling good about East Union’s slow-pitch squad. “Since last season, we’ve had two move back to East Union and they’ll both be seniors – Katey Hunt and Savannah Alexander,” Blythe said. “Having those two girls back will be key, […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange Marty Cook is eager to begin his first season as head coach of Myrtle’s slow-pitch softball team. The fast-pitch head coach takes over the top position in slow-pitch after Robert Gordon stepped aside to spend more time with family. “Coach Gordon is a legend – 300 wins and […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange Andy Wilbanks described the outlook for Ingomar’s slow-pitch season as a youth movement. With a half-dozen positions left open by graduation, the Lady Falcons are hoping for underclassmen to step into starting roles. “We are going to be pretty young,” said Wilbanks, who is beginning his eighth season […]
By Dennis Clayton Coach Scott Duley will have the luxury of a returning D.J. Armstrong for a fourth consecutive year as quarterback. In fact, Armstrong is the only quarterback Duley has ever had in his four year run as Union County (two years) and East Union (two years) coach. “D.J. Armstrong has been the quarterback […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange During the past two seasons, New Albany could count on quarterback Spencer Day to lead the offense through the air and running back Boston Newsome to take care of business on the ground. As seniors in 2012, they helped the Bulldogs capture the Division 2-4A football championship. Head […]
By Dennis Clayton Coach Dorothy Denton hopes that a strong first month of competition will benefit her cross country team. New Albany starts the running season at Pontotoc and then travels the next Saturday to Saltillo. Both meets will feature some of the best teams and individual runners in the state. Coach Denton will enter […]
By Dennis Clayton Coach Nathan Tidwell begins his first year as West Union cross country coach and one area that his team is not lacking in is numbers. At present the numbers are at 30 and counting. Included in that number is Savannah Shirley, former 1A State Champion of 2011. Shirley had another strong showing […]
By Dennis Clayton Coach Nathan McLellen looks to his three senior boys to provide the experience and leadership for this year’s cross country team. “I’ve got Brett Rakestraw, Jonathan Valle and Christian McLellen that had a lot of success. They’ve won two state championships, won some division championships and won some county championships. “We will […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Weather causes rescheduling of Union County/New Albany girls basketball February 23, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...