By Jay Tidwell Special to the News Exchange Larenz Jones provided the spark for a thrilling comeback by New Albany. After Cedric Buford batted down a field goal attempt by North Pontotoc’s John Gonzales early in the fourth quarter, Jones grabbed the loose ball and sprinted 70 yards for the end zone. It was the […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Photo by Dennis Clayton New Albany came out strong against Pontotoc early, but Pontotoc rallied from a 2-1 deficit and won the match 3-2 on Tuesday. The Lady Bulldogs ran off six straight points to begin the set, then later ran off four straight points to take the 10-1 lead. New Albany later ran off […]
It was a night of big plays as New Albany and North Pontotoc met in a non-division contest as the Bulldogs celebrated Homecoming. The celebration was made complete when Eathen Rainey’s 36 yard field goal split the uprights in overtime to lift New Albany to comeback win of 24-21. New Albany found themselves trailing North […]
SPORTS CALENDAR Thursday September 26 Softball West Union at Hickory Flat – 5:00/6:00 V/JV Ingomar at Myrtle – 5:00 Friday September 27 Football North Pontotoc at New Albany (Homecoming) – 7:00 Saturday September 28 Cross Country Southern Tees Challenge @ BNA Bank Park & Sportsplex East Union, Ingomar, Myrtle, New Albany and West Union participating […]
By Dennis Clayton East Union overcame the extremely wet field conditions and a slick football to take the win over Strayhorn and remain undefeated on the season. Coach Scott Duley said “It was a big win tonight, I told the boys that it was better to win ugly than to lose pretty. Our offense was […]
By Dennis Clayton Friday night the North Pontotoc Vikings will be visiting New Albany as the Homecoming guests. In years past, the teams were division opponents in 4A, but the Viking moved down to 3A with the most recent classification. The visitors from Ecru still feature multi-purpose athlete Marcus Green, a threat to score any […]
By Dennis Clayton East Union boys and Myrtle girls ran well at the Saltillo Invitational cross country meet on Saturday as both finished second in the 1A-3A division. East Union had 10 runners that ran the course in under 21 minutes. The Urchins were led by Jordan Salmon (18:15.05) and Zach Rowan (18:57.16) who finished […]
By Blake Long Special to the Journal CORINTH – Coaches tend to run the football 99 percent of the time when playing in heavy rain and wet field conditions. The Corinth Warriors broke that mold on Friday night and used the air game on the way to a 24-16 victory over New Albany. “I just […]
- Saturday is deadline for voter registration for Nov. 3 election September 30, 2015
- Lady Urchins secure division title with win over Baldwyn October 2, 2015
- Saturday noon is voter registration deadline October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins drop Mooreville from unbeaten ranks October 3, 2015
- All in a week’s work October 6, 2015
- Honoring Vance Witt October 7, 2015
- Not your father’s phone company October 7, 2015
- State Main Street president says local program one of best in state October 7, 2015
- Kirk defeats cancer through faith in God, family October 7, 2015
- City school board updates policy on overnight, other field trips October 7, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on