Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
By Dennis Clayton The much-awaited and much-anticipated college football season has begun and we had mixed results with our teams for week one. Ole Miss had a thrilling come-from-behind win on Thursday against Vanderbilt, State lost to offensive-minded Oklahoma State and Southern Miss lost to Texas State. One game doesn’t make a season, but Ole […]
By Dennis Clayton New Albany and Myrtle locked up in a low-scoring contest between county rivals on Thursday at BNA Bank Park and the Lady Bulldogs escaped with a run in their final at-bat to take the win. New Albany totaled nine hits to even their record at 5-5. Myrtle picked up six hits. Myrtle […]
By Dennis Clayton East Union jumped out to an early lead and held off an Ingomar rally in the seventh inning to defeat their county rivals by a score of 9-5 on Thursday. Mallory Roberts got the win and also contributed at the plate with two doubles. The Lady Urchins scored one run in the […]
by Dennis Clayton East Union took their offensive fireworks to Middleton for their game two and brought back a 47-36 win. Quarterback D.J. Armstrong led the Urchins as he finished 3-6 passing for 126 yards and touchdown. Armstrong also added three scores rushing on the night. Leading rushers for East Union were Jacob Elder with […]
BY Zach Adams Itawamba Times FULTON – New Albany coach Ron Price and his Bulldogs led the Itawamba AHS Indians 10-7 with less than a minute to play last Friday night. Unfortunately for the visiting team, a game that saw very few big offensive plays was capped off by one when IAHS sophomore quarterback Vijay […]
BNA Bank Park tennis facility in New Albany is one of 19 tennis facilities honored for excellence as a 2013 USTA Facility Award Winner The USTA announced Aug. 21 that the BNA Bank Park Tennis Facility in New Albany is one of 19 winners of its 32nd annual USTA Facility Awards Program, which recognizes excellence […]
By GENE PHELPS Daily Journal TUPELO – New Albany coach Shay Ashford hates losing, but Thursday’s close high school volleyball loss to Tupelo – her alma mater – didn’t sting so bad. The visiting Lady Bulldogs, a second-year program, gave the Lady Wave a fight before falling 3-0 (25-21, 25-20, 25-20). “I don’t like to […]
Sometimes things are just completely inexplicable and seem to defy any sort of logic. I witnessed one of the strangest events in my life during the Union County Slow Pitch Softball Tournament at BNA Bank Park on Saturday. Now I was not the only person to see this; several of us in attendance discussed it. […]
By Dennis Clayton East Union boys took first among 2A Boys in the Tupelo Christian Preparatory School Invitational on Saturday. East Union placed three runners in the top 41 as Jordan Salmon, Zane Wilkinson and Zach Rowan all ran in the 20s in the boys 5K event. The Urchins had a total of six runners […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...