Union County’s unemployment rate for June was 6.9 percent, making it eighth-lowest in the state and the lowest among counties in Northeast Mississippi according to figures from the Mississippi Employment Security Commission. Although among the lowest, the rate did represent a slightly upward trend for the county, which reported 6.5 percent in May and 5.5 […]
Mitch Robinson, conservation education manager for the Strawberry Plains Audubon Center, shows snakeskins and talks about other animals this past Tuesday at the Union County Heritage Museum’s annual Museum Madness program for young people. The theme for the day was “My Favorite Pet” and artist Rebecca Browning was to help participants create artwork […]
By Angie Barmer The popular local event, Arts, Beats and Eats is taking place Friday night in downtown New Albany. Arts, Beats and Eats is an event sponsored by the New Albany Main Street Association that showcases local musicians, local artists, and local restaurants. Attendees get to taste local cuisine, while mingling with other locals […]
Winners in the Puppy (6 months and under) category of the Union County Fair Pet Show were, from left, fourth place, Sadie, shown by Lacy Raines; third, Chloe, shown by Laura Cobb; second, Bella, shown by Peyton Ligon; and first, Gracey, shown by Hailey Sprouse. Winners in the Small Dog category […]
The Northeast Mississippi Jets earned a shut-out win on Tuesday, knocking off the Inverness Bollweevils 12-0 in five innings. Starting pitcher Josh Hargett (Itawamba) Agricultural High School was the star of the game, tossing a no-hitter of four innings and striking out three. Relief pitcher Jacob Kent (Myrtle) closed the game in the fifth inning. […]
The Tallahatchie Tidal Wave received a very special visitor at the Baptist Heathplex in USA Swimming Club Development Consultant Dave Thomas. Thomas stopped in New Albany on his way to attend the Mississippi long-course state championships, and spent time learning about the Tidal Wave program, head coach Joanna Manning said. “It is quite an honor […]
The long-awaited change for the football championships has finally arrived but, in traditional fashion, the Mississippi High School Activities Association has adjusted another sport in what is sure to lead to a giant headache once March rolls around. This upcoming school year will mark the first in recent memory where there will be no North […]
The dust still has not settled concerning the Republican senate primary and run-off but Union County is about to see another race state – this one likely much less dramatic. On the Nov. 5 general election ballot will be the District Five seat on the Union County School Board of Trustees. Wayne Mahon is the […]
The state’s annual Sales Tax Holiday will take place during a 48-hour time period beginning 12:01 a.m. Friday, July 25, and ending at midnight Saturday, July 26. The popular “back to school” event is worth seven percent in savings to consumers as result of waiving the sales tax on specific items. It was established and […]
The Union County Historical Society and Heritage Museum are embarking on an effort to raise approximately $1 million for a much-needed expansion of the museum. Included in the plans is adding to the museum staff. But for the past three years the museum has been fortunate to have extra help in the form of interns […]
Union County’s eldest physician, Dr. David B. Ellis, died Tuesday, July 22, at the age of 94. He achieved his medical career as one of the area’s longest-serving doctors in a roundabout way, and when he did start, it was in an era when a local physician was expected to make a string of house […]
County plans extension office renovation, courthouse roof repair but reports no progress in mental health issue
The Union County Board of Supervisors had no progress to report Monday in finding an approved facility to house mental patients from the community but Chancery Clerk Annette Hickey said they are continuing to talk with various agencies in hope of finding a solution. The county had contracted with Region IV Mental Health Services to […]
The railroad may be an integral part of New Albany’s history but even ardent train lovers are bothered from time to time by the loud train horns that can drown out programs at the courthouse or civic center and make it impossible to carry on business or even a telephone conversation downtown. Now, it appears […]
Police are investigating a burglary early Sunday at Mi Pueblo Mexican Restaurant #2 at 180 Park Plaza Drive. Chief Chris Robertson said a cleaning crew was working in the restaurant about 6:30 a.m. and noticed the office door was broken open. They called owner Jorge Huerta, who called police. “Officers found the office door busted […]
- Dr. David Ellis, 94, dies July 25, 2014
- County has new airport projects coming up July 30, 2014
- Arts, Beats & Eats July 30, 2014
- The single life is not for us July 30, 2014
- Work progressing on biodiesel plant August 1, 2014
- Police charge babysitter with child abuse August 1, 2014
- Officers learn how to deal with life-threatening wounds in dangerous situations August 1, 2014
- Neighbor charged with attempted burglary and assault August 1, 2014
- Getting ready for kindergarten August 1, 2014
- NA police getting tough on traffic next week as school readies August 1, 2014
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- mathewsjw: interesting poll books provided no voters were cha...
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey