The changes this year in the annual farmers market represent an important step forward for our community. Saturday, has been renamed the Biscuits and Jam Farmers’ Market and moved to a more prominent downtown spot on the vacant property between Fred’s and the Tallahatchie River Bridge. In the past, the farmers’ market has been held […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Responding to citizens concerns, the Union County Board of Supervisors has adopted an abandoned and dangerous animals ordinance. It is expected to go into effect in about 30 days. We think the board has done the right thing in an effort to get a handle on the growing population of unwanted, or in some cases […]
Today is an extra-tiring one for our local mail carriers and for the independent contractors who take the Gazette around to single copy dealers and racks. That’s because the Gazette is extra heavy today. We’re sorry about that. Well, not really. We’re actually happy that your paper contains the third edition of Explore. The glossy […]
Tonight the American Cancer Society will hold its 14th annual Relay for Life fundraising event at BNA Bank Park. The event gets under way at 5 p.m. to live music, followed by the opening ceremony at 7 p.m. with the presentation of the color guard, a ribbon cutting, recognizing the cancer survivors in attendance and […]
The Mitchell Home for Homeless Animals has increased its population by one. Jenny hastens to add that it’s only temporarily. At least, we hope so. We already have Molly, who came to us from an animal-rescue group; Sophie, a homeless Boston terrier mix who showed up at the house; and Lizzie, a puppy that a […]
The Blue Mountain College Board of Trustees has found the college’s next president, Dr. Barbara Childers McMillin, who will start work Aug. 1. The hire was announced by Dr. Carl White, president of the board, after an exhaustive search and interview process by a search committee that included Mike Staten, senior vice president of BNA […]
Graduation time is here in our high schools. By late this evening 274 seniors will have gotten their diplomas in the New Albany and Union County schools. Last night East Union Attendance Center graduated 37 and Ingomar graduated 30. Tonight 35 will graduate at Myrtle Attendance Center and 40 at West Union. And 132 will […]
What eventually will be a major traffic improvement on U.S. 78 (Interstate 22) in New Albany is a dangerous problem today. We, of course, are talking about the $19-million project to widen the Central/Carter avenues overpass and the bridge over the Tallahatchie River and the lengthening of the on and off ramps at the downtown […]
It’s been an Advil week around our house. It all started the weekend before last, while we were walking our dogs around the neighborhood. Jenny was admiring everybody’s yards. “We have one of the worst-looking lawns in the neighborhood,” she said. “Our yard is full of weeds.” I had to admit that after our lawn […]
The Mississippi Legislature has ended its session, having turned aside efforts by Gov. Phil Bryant, Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves and the Republican legislative leadership to expand charter schools and politicize state employees by removing them from civil service. Legislators are to be commended for holding the reins on efforts to raid the state treasury to […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley to hold Union County town hall meeting February 25, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Urchins fall to Chieftains’ scoring surge February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...