By Tim Burress Are you up to it? Are you man enough? Is your Team ready? This year’s event will be held at the Union County Fairgrounds Pulling Track, Saturday July 20, at 8:00 p.m. You and your team can register up to the night of the event and the fee is $25.00 per team. […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Four little “grands” in car seats make for interesting commutes. On their recent week with Mama C and Daddy O, we were on our way to a fun day at the Children’s Museum. An altercation surfaced from the back seat between the two older girls. As the sounds escalated, I interrupted and took on the […]
It has been said that most people only appear in the newspaper two times: once when they are born and once when they die. Today, due to patient privacy laws and changing norms, fewer births make it into the newspaper, so that really leaves obituaries. If that is indeed the only time someone is written […]
City officials began their new term by making an assortment of decisions, not the least of which was to create a committee to look at downtown parking. This is long overdue, deserves praise, and even more than praise if any action actually results from it. New Albany has a parking problem, which certainly is a […]
Parents of college students in Mississippi will feel more pinch this fall as the state’s universities increase in-state tuition by an average of more than 6 percent. Costs will go up even more at the state’s two major universities. Mississippi State tuition for two semesters will be $6,772, up 8.1 percent, and the University of […]
Jenny and I got married last week. At least, that is what our son Joe told us after seeing it on the internet. He found it on Facebook. How did it get there? It turns out it was my fault, and I was pretty embarrassed. It was a quick reminder of the danger of me […]
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi, kicks off its 72nd anniversary year Friday at the fairgrounds. This year’s fair opens with the rodeo on Friday and Saturday nights, and the Miss Union County Fair and Scholarship pageant before the rodeo on Saturday. The […]
It was one of those special God surprises Sunday evening when the gentle breezes began blowing through our back porch – more comparable to a September fall breeze than a pre-July. Then the sounds of firecrackers covered the sound of rustling leaves. Children in the adjoining neighborhood were heralding freedom celebration with an early start. […]
Twenty years ago the vision of then Mayor Walter Johnson became a reality with the opening of the New Albany Sportsplex. Through the years the sportsplex has attracted teams and their revenue-producing parents and friends from all over the South to play in what many regard as a showplace in the region. The facilities, on […]
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer