Dr. Charles Garrett today winds up more than 11 years as superintendent of New Albany Schools, years that have brought positive change and improvement to local education. He is leaving the district in a much better position than when he came, and his successor, whether it is interim superintendent Jackie Ford or someone else, will […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Jenny and I had decided to spend the day in Oxford – the other one, the one without The Grove. We were on a once-in-forever kind of vacation that included several days each in London and Paris. (Yes, we had a wonderful time, but by the end we were ready to come home to New […]
The board of the Union County Historical Society has voted to hire an architect and move ahead on plans to more than double the size of the Union County Heritage Museum. It was a bold move, but clearly was the right one for our community. The museum has become a quality small museum under the […]
The changes this year in the annual farmers market represent an important step forward for our community. Saturday, has been renamed the Biscuits and Jam Farmers’ Market and moved to a more prominent downtown spot on the vacant property between Fred’s and the Tallahatchie River Bridge. In the past, the farmers’ market has been held […]
Responding to citizens concerns, the Union County Board of Supervisors has adopted an abandoned and dangerous animals ordinance. It is expected to go into effect in about 30 days. We think the board has done the right thing in an effort to get a handle on the growing population of unwanted, or in some cases […]
Today is an extra-tiring one for our local mail carriers and for the independent contractors who take the Gazette around to single copy dealers and racks. That’s because the Gazette is extra heavy today. We’re sorry about that. Well, not really. We’re actually happy that your paper contains the third edition of Explore. The glossy […]
Tonight the American Cancer Society will hold its 14th annual Relay for Life fundraising event at BNA Bank Park. The event gets under way at 5 p.m. to live music, followed by the opening ceremony at 7 p.m. with the presentation of the color guard, a ribbon cutting, recognizing the cancer survivors in attendance and […]
The Mitchell Home for Homeless Animals has increased its population by one. Jenny hastens to add that it’s only temporarily. At least, we hope so. We already have Molly, who came to us from an animal-rescue group; Sophie, a homeless Boston terrier mix who showed up at the house; and Lizzie, a puppy that a […]
The Blue Mountain College Board of Trustees has found the college’s next president, Dr. Barbara Childers McMillin, who will start work Aug. 1. The hire was announced by Dr. Carl White, president of the board, after an exhaustive search and interview process by a search committee that included Mike Staten, senior vice president of BNA […]
Graduation time is here in our high schools. By late this evening 274 seniors will have gotten their diplomas in the New Albany and Union County schools. Last night East Union Attendance Center graduated 37 and Ingomar graduated 30. Tonight 35 will graduate at Myrtle Attendance Center and 40 at West Union. And 132 will […]
- County makes arrests in area burglaries March 4, 2015
- Sunday is day to ‘spring forward’ to Daylight Saving Time March 4, 2015
- Still no decision on Extension Office renovation; gun carrying prohibition clarified March 6, 2015
- NA police switching to electronic citation system March 6, 2015
- Futorian descendents visit to learn more about family history March 6, 2015
- East Union Attendance Center beauty review March 6, 2015
- East Union students help save lives of two wreck victims March 6, 2015
- Blue Springs seeks grant for more police presence March 6, 2015
- City considering plan for bike path to connect west side to park, downtown March 6, 2015
- City schools look at long-range planning, make staff appointments March 6, 2015
- Bradley Wells: Daniel rhynes has been stealing for yrs and blamin...
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...