By Charlie Mitchell At most Mississippi high schools today, the only cars out front are the principal’s and the secretary’s. Maybe a counselor or two came to work. The coaches’ pickups are over by the field house, where the coaches are inside, rocked back in their chairs, feet on desks, pondering strategy for fall. It’s […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By Lloyd Gray/NEMS Daily Journal The challenges Tupelo faces at this point in its history aren’t unique. In fact, they’re the norm for a city once it reaches a certain size and stage in its growth and development. Core neighborhoods age. Middle-class homeowners move out and are replaced by lower-income renters. Blighted properties multiply. Crime […]
There are names in the Old Testament that fit nicely under the category: Humdingers! Jehoshaphat is one of them, but he’s one of my favorite characters, and his name has nothing to do with it. It’s his wisdom as a leader. My dad would call it plain, common sense. This main man of Judah was […]
I was raised with the notion that it isn’t good manners to toot one’s own horn or be prideful. On the other hand, how does one resolve the conflict between that and the admonition not to hide one’s light under a bushel? Perhaps the ideal is somewhere in between. What’s the point of this? Just […]
“I need go to potty,” were the whispered words that jarred me awake at three a.m. one morning last week. Othel volunteered to take our little three-year-old Major to the bathroom, but he was standing at my face and wiggling like the quicker one to the pot would be the better choice. I led him […]
Editor’s note: A group of caring volunteers have form the Agape Health Service free clinic on North Street with the mission of sharing the love of Christ by providing free health care to those without insurance. The clinic is just getting started, so far is only open once a month and has only been open […]
On behalf of Union County Development Association – Thanks to all of you who took time out of your busy schedules to support Union County at the State of the Region Meeting today in Tupelo. We are honored to be the county with the most people in attendance! We appreciate you all! Sincerely, Joanne Lesley […]
Frog-a-Nanny has had a tough year because of the weather. The parade, pep rally and ball game were postponed twice due to rain and storms and ultimately put off until the late summer when school starts again. The fun run and 5K did come off Friday, however, with about 80 participants total. That’s not bad […]
They call it a courtyard. It’s my first. I’m more accustomed to seven acres of yard, boulders, hills, hollows, garden spot, and forest. The courtyard came with our new home – recently landscaped by its builder. Our backyard is larger – big enough to create a garden that can be manicured and watched in detail […]
The organizers of the Union County Fair have taken a bold step in an effort to take the fair up a notch. The fair, which will be held July 12-20, has decided to bring in an entertainer for a concert. Country music star Easton Corbin will appear in concert on Tuesday, July 16. “This is […]
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault May 5, 2016
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures May 5, 2016
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas May 5, 2016
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7 May 5, 2016
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6 May 5, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6