Here we go again. Gov. Phil Bryant last week proposed yet another plan to raid the public school treasury, this time to support private schools. The governor and Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves already are pushing a proposal to create more charter schools, which compete with public schools but do not have to meet all of […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The New Albany Main Street Association’s annual Holiday Open House has become so successful that the association has developed an encore event. From 5 to 8 p.m. next Friday the association will host something called “Sippin’ Cider,” a clever gimmick to get lots of folks downtown and shopping in members’ shops on a Friday night. […]
Thanksgiving week got off to its usual start a week ago Saturday. Our son Joe and I lugged the boxes of Christmas decorations off the garage shelves and put together the artificial tree. It’s not my favorite job, but we try to get the Christmas tree up before we drive to my sister’s house in […]
By just about any measure, the economy is slowly getting better, both nationally and in the state. Here at home there was good economic news last week as the 16-county region’s unemployment rates were released, and the overall rate – 8.6 percent — is the lowest in nearly four years. Union County got even better […]
Bobby Gault has been elected president of the Mississippi School Boards Association, capping a areer in education that began with his election to the New Albany Schools Board of Trustees in 1976. His taking the helm of the state association brings recognition and honor, not only to Mr. Gault, but also to the New Albany […]
It’s another sign that our youth is gone. No, I haven’t acquired some new malady, or if I have, I don’t know it yet. No, I’m talking about the empty shelves where the Wonder Bread is supposed to be. And the Hostess Cup Cakes and the Twinkies. The demise of Hostess Brands was the result […]
Thanksgiving is here, for many of us a time for family gatherings, turkey, pumpkin pie and all the trimmings. We hope at this time you will be thankful for what you have and also take a moment to share with others as we enter the holiday season. We are talking about the Gazette’s Sharing at […]
Mississippi Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney has become something of an expert on an unlikely topic – creating a state health insurance exchange as outlined under the federal Affordable Care Act. The fact that a Republican elected official in Mississippi is among the national leaders in developing a plan to implement one of the key parts […]
Every year at Thanksgiving time we drive to the suburbs of Kansas City to spend the holiday with my sister, Donna, and her husband, Homer. It’s sort of a ritual. We do the same things every year. We arrive on Tuesday in time to get a late dinner at Houlihan’s, near where Donna and Homer […]
Another proposal designed to improve the look of New Albany is under consideration by the Board of Aldermen. Scott Dunnam, alderman at large, has asked the board to approve an ordinance to make it illegal to have upholstered furniture or mattresses sitting around on outdoor porches or patios. The ordinance would apply to furniture not […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Families of Union Countians killed in service to participate in Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ September 2, 2015
- Number of unemployed Union Countians back down slightly September 2, 2015
- Labor Day holiday to affect business, garbage collection schedules September 2, 2015
- Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ August 28, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Hoping to get a deal on some land September 2, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...