Some legislators, tired of being reminded that they have failed to follow their own law in providing money to public schools, now want to tinker with the law’s formula. The law containing the formula, the Mississippi Adequate Education Program, was passed in 2002 to try to improve the low education standing of the state in […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Every once in a while something happens that just leaves us stunned. That’s where we are today with the news that on almost no notice our area’s largest annual event has been forced out of its downtown location on Bankhead Street in front of the Union County Courthouse. Many of the events of our annual […]
Parallel parking was invented by someone who owned a car body shop. At least, that’s what I thought when I was 16 and faced with trying to pass the state test to get my driver’s license. “Who would ever do this?” I thought, as I tried to get my car into the space without bumping […]
The state of Mississippi has released the results of its annual public school performance testing and both New Albany and Union County showed continuing improvement in their overall scores. New Albany had an impressive jump in its district score to 193 from 180 last year and Union County improved to 175 this year compared to […]
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas around our house. Oh, we haven’t gotten any decorations out or anything. We usually don’t get around to even thinking about that until about Thanksgiving. No, what looks like Christmas is the stack of mail-order catalogs accumulating in the recycling pile. The first sign of the approaching […]
The Heritage Pioneer Days, which has become one of the largest events in town for school classes and families with young children, will be held Thursday, Friday and Saturday. It was 11 years ago that Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, decided to demonstrate the life of early pioneers with demonstrations and […]
Over the past couple of months we’ve gauged the community support for and watched closely the performance of Jackie Ford as the interim superintendent of the New Albany Schools. We’ve liked what we’ve heard and seen. It seems to us that Ford has gotten off to a good start and that our city schools are […]
Dentists make me sick. Oh, it’s not because of their personalities or chair-side manners. Kelton McClinton is a nice guy and our family goes to him for checkups. No, dentists make me sick because they want to put things in my mouth. It makes me gag. So do lollipops, chewing gum, and thermometers. It started […]
Mischief is being made in Oxford again. Last fall a group calling itself Forward Rebels placed anonymous ads in newspapers around the state critical of the University of Mississippi administration and especially its athletic director. The group spent a lot of money embarrassing the university and creating a distraction that undermined support for the school […]
Once in a while we need to pause and remind ourselves of the quality work done at our New Albany and Union County schools to prepare our students for the life ahead. One measure of that is graduation, or completion, rate for the schools. The 2011 figures have been released by the state and show […]
- Burdette to lead Bulldogs May 19, 2015
- State of the Region meeting set for Wednesday May 22, 2015
- MHP to step up enforcement over holiday weekend May 22, 2015
- Kids’ cooking class offered next week May 22, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...