The selection of Dr. Charles Garrett, New Albany schools superintendent, as the 2011 Mississippi Superintendent of the Year comes as no surprise to us. His track record since joining the district nearly 10 years ago has been one of positive change and improvement for our schools. The announcement was made Thursday by Anna P. Hurt, […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Our neighbor to the east, Tupelo, is discussing replacing its aging public swimming pool, which has a bubble enclosure for year-round swimming, with a major new aquatic complex. The Tupelo City Council is considering paying for an architect’s study to determine location and cost for a facility that is expected to cost as much as […]
The Union County Development Association has scheduled a public meeting next Tuesday to take a look at look at the community’s recent Riverfest event and start planning for next year’s festival. The meeting is set for 5 p.m. in the Magnolia Room of the Magnolia Civic Center. “All citizens interested in the future and the […]
Ward Two Alderman Johnny Anderson has come up with a new proposal to set minimum standards for the appearance of property in New Albany. It would outline a number of items that would be a violation of city ordinance, including junk vehicles, the storage of junk, garbage or waste products on the property, blocking access […]
Tallahatchie RiverFest has come and gone, the events all happened as advertised, and despite the rain, attendance was decent. It filled the bill as a community festival. So now is a good time to take a step back, assess the overall festival and whether it is fulfilling its goal of attracting a regional and growing […]
The United Way campaign for 2010 is underway across the seven counties, including Union, that are part of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi. The goal this year is $2,150,000, but the important number locally is how much money is contributed by Union Countians because that determines how much money is returned to benefit worthy […]
The Early Childhood Education Summit held Tuesday at the Magnolia Civic Center clearly defined the reason why Mississippi school children lag near the bottom among the states in educational performance. Many Mississippi children arrive at kindergarten and first grade unprepared for learning. It is especially true for children coming from families in poverty and Mississippi […]
A plan to establish minimum standards for rental housing in New Albany continues to languish in the hands of the members of the Board of Aldermen. The proposed ordinance would set standards for habitation of rental housing and would give the city building inspector the authority to prevent rental units from being occupied if the […]
It’s a happening weekend in New Albany as the community’s biggest annual event, Tallahatchie RiverFest, spotlights our community and its downtown. Events got underway Thursday with the celebration of the Faulkner Literary Garden’s 5th anniversary at the Union County Heritage Museum. Felder Rushing, Mississippi author and radio personality, was scheduled to be the highlight Friday […]
The situation with the American Red Cross operation in New Albany continues to deteriorate with the resignation of Sally Zemek, the local part-time staff member. An ill-conceived plan to abolish the local Red Cross chapter and Zemek’s part-time job as its director has resulted in a situation that can best be described as a mess. […]
- McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results August 20, 2014
- Hawks fall 3-1 to Corinth on Willams’ homerun hit August 19, 2014
- Political tax talk August 20, 2014
- Dramatic Finish: Defensive hold lifts Bulldogs over Aggies August 20, 2014
- Urchins open season with Houlka Wildcats August 20, 2014
- Keep “Feet” on tour August 22, 2014
- CREATE program looks for ways to improve career readiness August 22, 2014
- County’s jobless rate lowest in north half of Mississippi August 22, 2014
- New Birth Community Church to hold open house Sunday August 22, 2014
- Lady Urchins drop two in Baldwyn softball tourney August 20, 2014
- Cecil: Will he be convinced if he loses again? I doubt i...
- Greyson McGrail: Homework Unlocked is also completely free and gear...
- Susan Jones: PLease know that lots of math teachers have put in...
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 2 years ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey
- Cecil on McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results
- Greyson McGrail on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Susan Jones on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Dan Dana, PhD on Thumbing to California
- David Lohr on A drone in Myrtle?