Tonight the American Cancer Society will hold its 14th annual Relay for Life fundraising event at BNA Bank Park. The event gets under way at 5 p.m. to live music, followed by the opening ceremony at 7 p.m. with the presentation of the color guard, a ribbon cutting, recognizing the cancer survivors in attendance and […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The Mitchell Home for Homeless Animals has increased its population by one. Jenny hastens to add that it’s only temporarily. At least, we hope so. We already have Molly, who came to us from an animal-rescue group; Sophie, a homeless Boston terrier mix who showed up at the house; and Lizzie, a puppy that a […]
The Blue Mountain College Board of Trustees has found the college’s next president, Dr. Barbara Childers McMillin, who will start work Aug. 1. The hire was announced by Dr. Carl White, president of the board, after an exhaustive search and interview process by a search committee that included Mike Staten, senior vice president of BNA […]
Graduation time is here in our high schools. By late this evening 274 seniors will have gotten their diplomas in the New Albany and Union County schools. Last night East Union Attendance Center graduated 37 and Ingomar graduated 30. Tonight 35 will graduate at Myrtle Attendance Center and 40 at West Union. And 132 will […]
What eventually will be a major traffic improvement on U.S. 78 (Interstate 22) in New Albany is a dangerous problem today. We, of course, are talking about the $19-million project to widen the Central/Carter avenues overpass and the bridge over the Tallahatchie River and the lengthening of the on and off ramps at the downtown […]
It’s been an Advil week around our house. It all started the weekend before last, while we were walking our dogs around the neighborhood. Jenny was admiring everybody’s yards. “We have one of the worst-looking lawns in the neighborhood,” she said. “Our yard is full of weeds.” I had to admit that after our lawn […]
The Mississippi Legislature has ended its session, having turned aside efforts by Gov. Phil Bryant, Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves and the Republican legislative leadership to expand charter schools and politicize state employees by removing them from civil service. Legislators are to be commended for holding the reins on efforts to raid the state treasury to […]
New Albany has adopted a plan to begin dealing with the most pressing issues with the city’s water system. The Board of Aldermen has voted to move ahead with a plan, developed by New Albany Light, Gas & Water, to add two production wells, improve water pressure on the east side of the city, and […]
Dear Editor: The New Albany Board of Aldermen has done an end around on the voters of Union County. Unable to garner a majority of votes to approve the sale of liquor, the aldermen have chosen to disenfranchise the voters of the county. Proponents of king liquor knew their only chance was to deprive the county […]
The New Albany Schools Board of Trustees has voted to conduct a national search for a new superintendent to succeed Dr. Charles Garrett, who is leaving the district June 30. The vote was 3 to 2. Dr. Jason Dees, Bernice Bailey and Dr. Susan McClelland voted in favor. Jerry Tate and Bobby Gault voted against […]
- Kiwanis Hotbed January 23, 2015
- Hancock enters supervisor, District 1 race January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co. to build new warehouse January 28, 2015
- Retail Strategies January 28, 2015
- New bladder pacemaker offers help with incontinence January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...