If there was any doubt that we are hooked on the Olympics, it was cast out late Saturday afternoon. There we were – Jenny, Joe and I – glued to the TV screen, watching racewalking. That’s right – racewalking. Until Saturday I had never even heard of it, but that didn’t matter. It’s the Olympics […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The Town of Blue Springs has a big task ahead in preparing for development expected in the area because of the new Toyota manufacturing plant. An urban planning consultant told the Board of Aldermen this week that it is important to move ahead on planning, zoning and building codes. Mike Slaughter of the Oxford-based Slaughter […]
Hundreds of children and their parents will descend on Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County Saturday morning for the annual Back to School Health Fair. One of the largest children’s health fairs in Mississippi, which traditionally has been designed for children ages 4 to 12, has been expanded to include children from birth to 12. A children’s […]
The contrast is striking. There was Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves this week speaking at a county fair in Philadelphia criticizing those who oppose so-called “charter schools,” which he and the Republican administration of Gov. Phil Bryant have made a major education priority. Reeves has become the mouthpiece for the plan that would siphon off public […]
The client hardly had time to walk into his office before the lawyer picked up a hinged box from his desk, opened it and said, “Care for a cigarette?” We’ve been watching old TV shows this summer, and one of our favorites is “Perry Mason,” which Jenny records for us every morning from the Hallmark […]
Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County has a longstanding commitment to the health of our community. That commitment takes many forms, from the hospital itself to a variety of community outreach programs. One of those ancillary parts of Baptist is the facility on Fairfield Drive known as the Baptist Healthplex. It has been owned by the hospital […]
School starts next Tuesday in both New Albany and Union County and it’s time for all of us to slow down and pay closer attention while driving. We see drivers speeding through residential areas (and even school zones) at 35 to 45 miles per hour, often while talking on cell phones. That is too fast […]
Standing in our garage, I saw the well-dressed young man walk up our driveway. “Are you moving in or moving out?” he asked, pointing to the pile of packing boxes stacked up near the front of the garage. “Neither,” I said, “we’ve lived here more than two years.” He stammered around for a bit, realizing […]
A year ago the New Albany Main Street Association decided to try something new – and evening of art, music and food called Arts, Beats & Eats. It was taking a chance because the community has few dressy, upscale events. Vickie Duke, the New Albany association’s manager, said at the time that one of Main […]
Next week music will come alive in New Albany as the community enjoys the seventh edition of the Broadway show. “Broadway 7: The House is Rockin’” will be performed at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in the Cine Theatre at the Magnolia Civic Center. It’s the seventh edition of the popular musical review […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Weather causes rescheduling of Union County/New Albany girls basketball February 23, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...