We learned with considerable surprise this week that New Albany now has a marketing director. Apparently aldermen had been discussing the idea for many months, but not at any meetings I attended. Local governments still have a tendency to do most of their horse-trading and rat-killing outside public meetings and that is not likely to […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Man always has a plan. He has a brain, a drive, and usually the means. He makes the plan – a future plan that’s in an orderly, doable schedule. But suddenly from out of nowhere comes . . .! Life is good – one of those sections in life when the kids are well, bills […]
Last Thursday I had the privilege to meet some of our local swimmers with the Tallahatchie Tidal Waves Swim Team. My major purpose was to interview Coach Joanna Manning and those swimmers that recently competed in the state championships in Cleveland. I accomplished that order of business, but it was impressive how much our local […]
Opinions differ about cars. But to my father, only one mattered – his. He was a Chevy man and that was what he drove most of his life. Dad, who died in 2002, would not have considered owning a foreign car, a used car, or even a non-General Motors car for that matter. He derided […]
The New Albany Board of Aldermen has gotten the cart before the horse in hiring a $50,000 director of marketing for the city. The board has hired Sean Johnson, who works with the Tupelo Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, for a new job that will oversee tourism and marketing. We don’t know Mr. Johnson personally and […]
Most Mississippi public school children this school year are to be taught using similar core standards as those in other states. The standards, called Common Core, seek to standardize much of the curriculum among the states. It’s an effort to make our public schools more rigorous so students – and our nation – can better […]
That’s what I’m talking about We normally talk about sports related to high school here, but the finish of The Open golf tournament and Phil Mickelson’s final round performance bear addressing. As the great baseball philosopher and player Yogi Berra said, “It’s not over until it’s over.” Mickelson proved Berra to be correct on that […]
My adaptation to “city life” is coming along quite well! In fact, it gives me more reasons to praise my Maker. I have not run into a single chigger. Amazing. Even though I’ve worked and dug among shrubs and leafy branches, the little red critters are nowhere to be found. Since I had to spray […]
Both of Mississippi’s U.S. senators, Thad Cochran and Roger Wicker, made an imprint on a major appropriation bill that passed out of the Appropriations Committee last week. Each of the provisions in the bill impacted Mississippi through federal programs affecting jobs and quality of life. Cochran, Republican ranking member of Appropriations, helped shape the bill […]
Just a reminder that special elections are non-partisan by nature unless a county committee requests that they be allowed to enter a partisan candidate. We have made no such request and to my knowledge neither have the Union County Democrats. So at this point there is no candidate can register to run under either party’s […]
- Seminoles slip past Hawks in seventh to tie series April 30, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 5, 2016
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault May 5, 2016
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures May 5, 2016
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas May 5, 2016
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7 May 5, 2016
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6 May 5, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6