New Albany has increased its space for holding meetings, dinners, parties and other events with the opening of In Bloom downtown. In Bloom, which is a flower and gift shop, has a companion space that can accommodate at least 125 people for sit-down events. Depending on table arrangements, as many at 140 to 160 can […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
An effort by a state legislator to require Ole Miss to return Colonel Reb as the university on-field mascot and specify what music the marching band should play has died in the Mississippi House. The bill was a divisive proposal to resurrect an issue that the university administration already has dealt with. The university has […]
The appointment of Vance Witt to an advisory group of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis is another milestone for our community. Witt, chairman and chief executive officer of BNA Bank, will serve a three-year term on the St. Louis Fed’s Community Depository Institutions Advisory Council. He was the only Mississippian named to the […]
The Hotbed, often imitated, never duplicated. That’s the motto of the New Albany Hotbed Classic, which just wound up its 20th annual high school basketball tournament Saturday. And the Hotbed has become a classic, changing and growing with the times. The tournament had 20 teams this year in honor of its 20th anniversary, but will […]
The danger from second-hand smoke is real, and several groups are pushing legislation to ban smoking in all public places in Mississippi. We support the legislation, not only because we support a healthier lifestyle, but also because second-hand smoke is such a health problem for employees of establishments that permit smoking. This week Union County […]
James Huffman will be a tough act to follow at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. Huffman, the administrator at our hospital for the past five years, has been promoted to the same job at the rapidly growing 339-bed hospital in the Baptist system in DeSoto County. Based on his handling of the job here in Union […]
The city of New Albany is considering a permanent ban on pit bulls within the city limits. We are opposed to this proposal. We don’t think the city has any business telling individuals what kind of dog they can have as a pet. That doesn’t mean we are not concerned about vicious dogs, but vicious […]
Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour’s request for the legislature to move ahead with establishing a state civil museum is a good one. The question is how to pay for it? The state, unlike Alabama and Tennessee, has no major civil rights museum to commemorate a significant, albeit tragic and unfortunate, period of the state’s history. Tourists […]
New Albany has begun a long-needed analysis of the problems and possible solutions associated with the city’s reputation for dirty water. Bill Mattox, the new head of the Light, Gas and Water Department, is looking into the problem that has plagued city residents for many years. At a meeting of the Board of Aldermen last […]
The defeat of a plan to establish minimum standards for rental housing in New Albany is a significant step backward in the effort to improve our community. The Board of Aldermen vote was 2 to 3 on the proposal that would have set standards for habitation and given the city building inspector the authority to […]
- McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results August 20, 2014
- Bladder surgery and a priest August 13, 2014
- Police report rare prostitution arrests in city August 20, 2014
- NA aldermen get update on parking, possible cable TV changes, other items August 20, 2014
- Supervisors starting work on county budget August 20, 2014
- Lady Urchins drop two in Baldwyn softball tourney August 20, 2014
- Area teams play in West Union classic preseason tournament August 20, 2014
- Urchins open season with Houlka Wildcats August 20, 2014
- Dramatic Finish: Defensive hold lifts Bulldogs over Aggies August 20, 2014
- Political tax talk August 20, 2014
- Cecil: Will he be convinced if he loses again? I doubt i...
- Greyson McGrail: Homework Unlocked is also completely free and gear...
- Susan Jones: PLease know that lots of math teachers have put in...
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 2 years ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey
- Cecil on McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results
- Greyson McGrail on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Susan Jones on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Dan Dana, PhD on Thumbing to California
- David Lohr on A drone in Myrtle?