Some legislators, tired of being reminded that they have failed to follow their own law in providing money to public schools, now want to tinker with the law’s formula. The law containing the formula, the Mississippi Adequate Education Program, was passed in 2002 to try to improve the low education standing of the state in […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Every once in a while something happens that just leaves us stunned. That’s where we are today with the news that on almost no notice our area’s largest annual event has been forced out of its downtown location on Bankhead Street in front of the Union County Courthouse. Many of the events of our annual […]
Parallel parking was invented by someone who owned a car body shop. At least, that’s what I thought when I was 16 and faced with trying to pass the state test to get my driver’s license. “Who would ever do this?” I thought, as I tried to get my car into the space without bumping […]
The state of Mississippi has released the results of its annual public school performance testing and both New Albany and Union County showed continuing improvement in their overall scores. New Albany had an impressive jump in its district score to 193 from 180 last year and Union County improved to 175 this year compared to […]
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas around our house. Oh, we haven’t gotten any decorations out or anything. We usually don’t get around to even thinking about that until about Thanksgiving. No, what looks like Christmas is the stack of mail-order catalogs accumulating in the recycling pile. The first sign of the approaching […]
The Heritage Pioneer Days, which has become one of the largest events in town for school classes and families with young children, will be held Thursday, Friday and Saturday. It was 11 years ago that Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, decided to demonstrate the life of early pioneers with demonstrations and […]
Over the past couple of months we’ve gauged the community support for and watched closely the performance of Jackie Ford as the interim superintendent of the New Albany Schools. We’ve liked what we’ve heard and seen. It seems to us that Ford has gotten off to a good start and that our city schools are […]
Dentists make me sick. Oh, it’s not because of their personalities or chair-side manners. Kelton McClinton is a nice guy and our family goes to him for checkups. No, dentists make me sick because they want to put things in my mouth. It makes me gag. So do lollipops, chewing gum, and thermometers. It started […]
Mischief is being made in Oxford again. Last fall a group calling itself Forward Rebels placed anonymous ads in newspapers around the state critical of the University of Mississippi administration and especially its athletic director. The group spent a lot of money embarrassing the university and creating a distraction that undermined support for the school […]
Once in a while we need to pause and remind ourselves of the quality work done at our New Albany and Union County schools to prepare our students for the life ahead. One measure of that is graduation, or completion, rate for the schools. The 2011 figures have been released by the state and show […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley to hold Union County town hall meeting February 25, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Urchins fall to Chieftains’ scoring surge February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...