The 2010 U.S. Census numbers for New Albany and Union County are disappointing. The numbers made public Friday put New Albany’s population at 8,034, up only 5.6 percent from the 7,607 people counted in the 2000 Census. Union County grew 7 percent to 27,134 compared to 25,362. Several local business and government officials had estimated […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
New Albany has increased its space for holding meetings, dinners, parties and other events with the opening of In Bloom downtown. In Bloom, which is a flower and gift shop, has a companion space that can accommodate at least 125 people for sit-down events. Depending on table arrangements, as many at 140 to 160 can […]
An effort by a state legislator to require Ole Miss to return Colonel Reb as the university on-field mascot and specify what music the marching band should play has died in the Mississippi House. The bill was a divisive proposal to resurrect an issue that the university administration already has dealt with. The university has […]
The appointment of Vance Witt to an advisory group of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis is another milestone for our community. Witt, chairman and chief executive officer of BNA Bank, will serve a three-year term on the St. Louis Fed’s Community Depository Institutions Advisory Council. He was the only Mississippian named to the […]
The Hotbed, often imitated, never duplicated. That’s the motto of the New Albany Hotbed Classic, which just wound up its 20th annual high school basketball tournament Saturday. And the Hotbed has become a classic, changing and growing with the times. The tournament had 20 teams this year in honor of its 20th anniversary, but will […]
The danger from second-hand smoke is real, and several groups are pushing legislation to ban smoking in all public places in Mississippi. We support the legislation, not only because we support a healthier lifestyle, but also because second-hand smoke is such a health problem for employees of establishments that permit smoking. This week Union County […]
James Huffman will be a tough act to follow at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. Huffman, the administrator at our hospital for the past five years, has been promoted to the same job at the rapidly growing 339-bed hospital in the Baptist system in DeSoto County. Based on his handling of the job here in Union […]
The city of New Albany is considering a permanent ban on pit bulls within the city limits. We are opposed to this proposal. We don’t think the city has any business telling individuals what kind of dog they can have as a pet. That doesn’t mean we are not concerned about vicious dogs, but vicious […]
Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour’s request for the legislature to move ahead with establishing a state civil museum is a good one. The question is how to pay for it? The state, unlike Alabama and Tennessee, has no major civil rights museum to commemorate a significant, albeit tragic and unfortunate, period of the state’s history. Tourists […]
New Albany has begun a long-needed analysis of the problems and possible solutions associated with the city’s reputation for dirty water. Bill Mattox, the new head of the Light, Gas and Water Department, is looking into the problem that has plagued city residents for many years. At a meeting of the Board of Aldermen last […]
- Dr. David Ellis, 94, dies July 25, 2014
- County has new airport projects coming up July 30, 2014
- Arts, Beats & Eats July 30, 2014
- The single life is not for us July 30, 2014
- Work progressing on biodiesel plant August 1, 2014
- Police charge babysitter with child abuse August 1, 2014
- Officers learn how to deal with life-threatening wounds in dangerous situations August 1, 2014
- Neighbor charged with attempted burglary and assault August 1, 2014
- Getting ready for kindergarten August 1, 2014
- NA police getting tough on traffic next week as school readies August 1, 2014
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- mathewsjw: interesting poll books provided no voters were cha...
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey