The importance of making a good first impression as a community cannot be overstated. Curb appeal is as important, or more so, in selling a community as in selling a house. It doesn’t matter whether we are trying to attract a major manufacturer or a retired couple to our community. The recruitment principle is the […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The United Way campaign results for Union County were released this week and they were a bit disappointing. Even though giving was up in total in the seven-county campaign area of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi, the money available from Union County contributions actually decreased slightly. The Union County allocations committee was able to […]
While we’re on the subject of state champions, we want to congratulate the West Union Boys Bowling team for its win of a state title. West Union defeated East Union in an all Union County final. The West Union Girls team also finished second and the East Union Girls competed at the state championships.
The New Albany Lady Bulldogs basketball team has made our community proud, winning the state championship in Class 4A Friday night in Jackson. The veteran team with four senior starters and Jazmine Spears, named most valuable player in the championship game, brought home the first state championship in the sport since 2002. In addition to […]
Despite clear and conclusive evidence that second-hand smoke is killing people, the Mississippi Legislature again has failed to pass a bill prohibiting smoking in public places. The legislation died in the House Public Health Committee (obviously a misnamed committee) after the chairman, Steve Holland, a Plantersville Democrat, said he could not muster enough votes to […]
Too often we hear people suggest that there is not enough to do in New Albany. We suppose that depends on how active a person or family you have, but mostly we don’t subscribe to that view. What we do believe, though, is that to keep the events we have and to increase their number, […]
The Mississippi Legislature has approved a plan to put some much-needed teeth into the law requiring governmental entities to conduct their business in public. The Senate approved this week and sent to Gov. Haley Barbour for signature a bill that puts the onus on public officials themselves and not the government entities to pay the […]
Legislation that would strengthen the punishment against anyone who harms dogs and cats has cleared a key state House committee. The bill, which represents a compromise between animal rights groups and groups that include the Mississippi Farm Bureau, was approved by the House Agriculture Committee, which had failed to support protection for dogs and […]
Drivers in Mississippi are required to carry liability insurance to cover accidents that are their fault. It’s the law. Unfortunately, enforcing the law is difficult, if not impossible, and large numbers of drivers wander around the state each day with no insurance. The odds are pretty chancy if you have an accident and expect the […]
There are signs that the much-anticipated migration of some Toyota management employees and their families from other company plants to Mississippi is getting underway. We are beginning to hear reports that people are looking both in New Albany and Union County as well as Tupelo and areas in Lee County. We understand the need will […]
- McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results August 20, 2014
- Hawks fall 3-1 to Corinth on Willams’ homerun hit August 19, 2014
- Political tax talk August 20, 2014
- Dramatic Finish: Defensive hold lifts Bulldogs over Aggies August 20, 2014
- Urchins open season with Houlka Wildcats August 20, 2014
- Keep “Feet” on tour August 22, 2014
- CREATE program looks for ways to improve career readiness August 22, 2014
- County’s jobless rate lowest in north half of Mississippi August 22, 2014
- New Birth Community Church to hold open house Sunday August 22, 2014
- Lady Urchins drop two in Baldwyn softball tourney August 20, 2014
- Cecil: Will he be convinced if he loses again? I doubt i...
- Greyson McGrail: Homework Unlocked is also completely free and gear...
- Susan Jones: PLease know that lots of math teachers have put in...
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 2 years ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey
- Cecil on McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results
- Greyson McGrail on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Susan Jones on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Dan Dana, PhD on Thumbing to California
- David Lohr on A drone in Myrtle?