The selection of Mary Margarett King as the Mississippi Teacher of the Year is an honor for her, for her students, for New Albany Schools and for our community. King, who teaches Advanced Placement English and a dual enrollment composition course for seniors at New Albany High School, was honored with a reception Wednesday in […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Stopping into The Seamstress to pick up some pants I was having altered (no, I wasn’t having the waist let out), I couldn’t help but think about how much busier downtown has become over the past five years. First, I couldn’t find a place to park on Bankhead, so I went around the block to […]
The United Way of Northeast Mississippi has announced its 2014 distribution of funds to agencies that serve Union County and it is not good news. The $60,525 being distributed in 2014 to 24 agencies is down more than 20 percent from the $77,405 distributed to 30 agencies in the current year. Robin Matkin, campaign and […]
The Union County Development Association is attempting to revive attendance at and interest in its annual meeting with a new wrinkle or two this year. After several years without having a dinner with the event, the association will hold a dinner meeting Monday evening in the New Albany Middle School cafeteria. And the committee that […]
A friend mentioned to me the other day that he only gets his mail out of the box once a week. I was a little surprised because it’s something I do every day. I just supposed everyone did. In fact, “getting the mail” is a chore I have looked forward to ever since I was […]
Bicycle season is here and the Tanglefoot Trail already is getting lots of use, much of it from visitors from out of town who have heard that the 44-mile trail has officially opened. Last Saturday we saw visitors with their bicycles and helmets on our downtown streets, reminding us that it’s time to move ahead […]
The Mississippi Legislature has adopted a bill that designates State Highway 30 West from New Albany to the Lafayette County line as the “William Faulkner Memorial Highway.” The plan, which is awaiting Gov. Phil Bryant’s signature to become law, was hurriedly attached to another bill in the waning days of the legislative session. We think […]
Standing in the garage and looking at the stacks of boxes piled high, I was thinking about how changing jobs is going to be hard work for our son Joe and me. And we’re not the ones making a change. Much of the stuff in the garage is left over from when Jenny taught second […]
Every once in a while something happens that defies explanation. The decision by the Mississippi House at the end of the legislative session to let die a bill it already had passed to ban texting while driving is one of them. One day after going on record 104-16 to ban texting while driving, the House […]
The effort to expand the Union County Heritage Museum got a major boost this week when the Mississippi Legislature agreed to provide $500,000 to help pay for the project. The money, part of a $200 million statewide bond bill, would pay a little more than one-third of the cost of the project that will more […]
- A drone in Myrtle? July 18, 2014
- Union County Fair pageant winners July 18, 2014
- County plans extension office renovation, courthouse roof repair but reports no progress in mental health issue July 23, 2014
- Dr. David Ellis, 94, dies July 25, 2014
- Interns invaluable for county heritage museum July 25, 2014
- Jets shut out Bollweeviles July 25, 2014
- USA swim rep visits Tallahatchie Tidal Wave July 25, 2014
- The Extra Point: Basketball championship expansion a miss July 25, 2014
- County school board election coming up July 25, 2014
- State residents to get yearly back-to-school purchasing ‘tax holiday’ July 25, 2014
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- mathewsjw: interesting poll books provided no voters were cha...
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
- Sheli McClellan: Love these kids! They're a hard-working bunch wh...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey