Sometimes a fella just can’t catch a break. This time the fella is me. Last week I wrote about how I had ordered some Christmas cards from the National Gallery in London, featuring paintings of snow scenes in England and France. My wife, Jenny, didn’t think much of the idea because it snows very little […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Christmas is fast approaching and time is short for providing holiday help for families in need in Union County through the Gazette’s Sharing at Christmas program. We are a bit concerned about the pace of contributions to support the program that has been sponsored by the Gazette for 40 years. We have set a fundraising […]
If you don’t already have plans for Thursday evening, we have a suggestion for you. Why not come downtown for a stroll, look in a few shops and perhaps have dinner? We make this suggestion for a couple of reasons. First, many of us could use a little exercise, and a walk on a crisp […]
Well, it’s that time again. It’s the annual discussion (or is it an argument?) when I mention it is time to write the family Christmas letter. Each year Jenny suggests that we should stop writing a Christmas letter to include with holiday cards. She thinks most Christmas letters are little more than bragging and that […]
The calendar hasn’t even turned to the election year yet, but political demagoguery already is out of control in Mississippi. Gov. Phil Bryant, apparently wary of a possible primary election challenger from the Tea Party, has embarked on a pattern of attacks about efforts to raise education standards, attacks that are a disservice to our […]
My wife Jenny is ready for some home cooking. She says she had enough, maybe one too many, restaurant meals on our Thanksgiving holiday trip to visit my sister and her husband in Kansas City. In last week’s column, I wrote about how much I resisted eating food that came from strangers’ kitchens. I didn’t […]
The sale of the Parks Chevrolet-Buick-GMC dealership in New Albany marks the end of an era that has spanned 95 years. What started with William N. “Newt” Parks Sr. (Bill Parks’ great-grandfather) opening Parks Auto Co. in 1919 and selling Studebakers ended with the sale of the family-owned business to Joe Marshall of Tupelo on […]
University tuition costs are going up again at eight public universities, including the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State University. The College Board is about to approve increases that average 3.2 percent, but are 5 percent at both of the two flagship state universities. Tuition and fees at both schools will be about $7,500 a […]
Reporter Angie Barmer was telling me about her interview for a story on how making jewelry as a hobby turned into a business for a couple of local people. She related how Al Stanford was a residential contractor for 20 years, but when the recession hit in 2008, his business faltered. One day he started […]
The first salvo in election-year look-at-me politics has been sounded with Gov. Phil Bryant’s proposal Monday for an income tax cut for roughly 300,000 tax filers. The governor has included a tax credit for families making up to $52,000 a year in his budget recommendation to next year’s Legislature. Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves also is […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Weather causes rescheduling of Union County/New Albany girls basketball February 23, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...