Thursday night the UNITE Foundation awarded more than $20,000 to 18 local organizations. Other agencies give money to community groups but most, such as United Way, focus on specific charitable needs. UNITE is unique in that, although it does help charities, it emphasizes overall community improvement rather than needy individuals. This is the fourteenth year […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The good news is that the Northeast Mississippi Community College campus at New Albany is so successful they need to expand. The bad news is that they don’t have enough room to do so. Northeast President Ricky Ford said this past week that if they are to add more credit classes and expand other programs, […]
By Lisa Bryant A team from the Bower Foundation and the Mississippi Department of Education’s Office of Health Schools is going around to the schools to demonstrate the Move to Learn videos. The team has discovered that improving nutrition and physical activity will improve their academic studies. I don’t think this is a great surprise […]
In a reversal from previous years, the state legislature appears to be close to passing a bill that would make all superintendents of education in Mississippi appointive rather than elective. Senate Bill 2438 made it though the Senate and the House Education Committee unscathed and awaits action by the full House. State executive officials are […]
Our philosophy is always “shop local” even if we admittedly don’t always adhere to it as well as we should. Reasons to shop at home are obvious. The money stays here and “turns over” several times. Our merchants prosper, we enjoy convenience and the community grows as our commercial district does. There’s another reason: if […]
By Lisa Bryant As I thought about my column this week, I began to look around at what was going on in the community and everywhere you look you see plans for Easter. All the stores have new spring lines in time to find that perfect Easter outfit, Easter baskets and candy can be found […]
By Camille Anding The soft, white cardigans were always part of our Easter ensembles when my sisters and I were children. Mother knew that spring could fool us into thinking the first mild days of March were ushering in permanent warmth. Our parents were confident that winter would make one more sneak attack, and it […]
The approximately $2 million expansion of the Union County Heritage Museum is far from complete but has progressed enough to provide a sense of size and scale. Only an actual walk though the new part of the building can convey the amount of space that will soon be available. The size of the Faulkner Library […]
For some reason the Union County Board of Supervisors’ decision to allow a commercial company to try to collect old, unpaid fines has drawn considerable area attention. Previous boards have tried using what amounts to collection agencies over the past 30 or 40 years but in each case results after the first month or two […]
By Lisa Bryant In today’s paper you will find a new feature called Homegrown Businesses. Our goal is to highlight the many one-of-a-kind businesses with distinctive character scattered all over New Albany and Union County. Locally owned businesses build strong communities by sustaining a vibrant town center. Having a variety of businesses in town will […]
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2