Well, it’s that time again. It’s the annual discussion (or is it an argument?) when I mention it is time to write the family Christmas letter. Each year Jenny suggests that we should stop writing a Christmas letter to include with holiday cards. She thinks most Christmas letters are little more than bragging and that […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The calendar hasn’t even turned to the election year yet, but political demagoguery already is out of control in Mississippi. Gov. Phil Bryant, apparently wary of a possible primary election challenger from the Tea Party, has embarked on a pattern of attacks about efforts to raise education standards, attacks that are a disservice to our […]
My wife Jenny is ready for some home cooking. She says she had enough, maybe one too many, restaurant meals on our Thanksgiving holiday trip to visit my sister and her husband in Kansas City. In last week’s column, I wrote about how much I resisted eating food that came from strangers’ kitchens. I didn’t […]
The sale of the Parks Chevrolet-Buick-GMC dealership in New Albany marks the end of an era that has spanned 95 years. What started with William N. “Newt” Parks Sr. (Bill Parks’ great-grandfather) opening Parks Auto Co. in 1919 and selling Studebakers ended with the sale of the family-owned business to Joe Marshall of Tupelo on […]
University tuition costs are going up again at eight public universities, including the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State University. The College Board is about to approve increases that average 3.2 percent, but are 5 percent at both of the two flagship state universities. Tuition and fees at both schools will be about $7,500 a […]
Reporter Angie Barmer was telling me about her interview for a story on how making jewelry as a hobby turned into a business for a couple of local people. She related how Al Stanford was a residential contractor for 20 years, but when the recession hit in 2008, his business faltered. One day he started […]
The first salvo in election-year look-at-me politics has been sounded with Gov. Phil Bryant’s proposal Monday for an income tax cut for roughly 300,000 tax filers. The governor has included a tax credit for families making up to $52,000 a year in his budget recommendation to next year’s Legislature. Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves also is […]
Two events this week reminded us of the effective and important work two local nonprofit agencies do on shoestring budgets and without much fanfare. The Holiday Open House downtown Sunday and the Union County Job Fair Wednesday were both extremely successful. The Holiday Open House is one of the events sponsored by the New Albany […]
How do I get that woman to talk to me?” was the question. Jenny’s father was on the phone from her parents’ home in northern Kentucky and he thought Jenny would know the answer. “That woman” was Siri, the often annoying “assistant” that had fascinated him a year ago when Jenny demonstrated the voice-recognition feature […]
Nothing gets our dander up faster than a story about businesses failing to pay their state sales tax. A story this week by Emily Le Coz in The Clarion-Ledger was about a Jackson restaurant owner charged with felony tax evasion in what state revenue officials call a growing epidemic of sales tax evasion that cost […]
- Kiwanis Hotbed January 23, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...