State Rep. Jay Hughes, who represents the 12th District and is from Lafayette County, is rapidly gaining a reputation as the legislator least likely to ever get a bill passed. A Democrat, he does not hesitate to clash with the Speaker or Governor himself and is certain to bring the wrath of the entrenched political […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Dear editor: I have been sending letters for over five years about the highways, roads and streets in Union County and New Albany. I know you have been concerned even longer. Very little has been accomplished and even the new county supervisors are in the same mode, ignoring the needs. Some desultory patching or roads […]
Congratulations are still a bit premature for the opening of the Union County Heritage Museum’s new addition – but not for the historical society’s twenty-fifth anniversary. It wasn’t that long ago that we had no museum at all. Then came the bare-bones version in the one-room former Catholic church. Not much was there to begin […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager Sunday was Mother’s Day and I must say I had one of my all-time favorite Mother’s Days with my family and at church. My son scored big time with me and his wife this Mother’s Day. I don’t think he could have given either of us a better Mother’s Day. […]
By Camille Anding It was June of last year when Othel and I were returning from a vacation out west. Our route carried us from one side of Dallas, Texas, to the other side. It would have been poor planning, but we didn’t plan it – the time we crossed Dallas. It was traffic like […]
Police Chief Chris Robertson announced plans this week to begin bicycle patrol by pairs of officers on an occasional basis. While this might sound like something appropriate for a much larger city, New Albany has some special needs that make the more personal and up-close patrolling a good idea. Initially, the bike patrol was discussed […]
Both Toyota Wellspring Education Fund and CREATE Foundation officials have been focusing on high school graduation rates and improved technical training as keys to the future success of our young people. This past week the Mississippi Department of Education released figures concerning state drop-out and graduation rates that show Union County’s schools are headed in […]
By Lisa Bryant With Mother’s Day approaching Sunday, my thoughts went to my mother and how much I miss her. It has been 12 years since I have had a Mother’s Day with my Mom. I lost my mother almost 13 years ago, but I don’t want this to be a sad column. That is […]
We continue to support a proposal to expand and upgrade our county library and a recent Pew Research study had both good and bad news in relation to that. Nationally, attendance has dropped a percent or two over each of the past four years. That’s not so good. The reason, however, appears to be that […]
Sometimes, no matter how worthy the cause, people get tired of giving. Mississippians are known for their charitable nature, but we all have limited finances to one degree or another and it can seem the number of charitable organizations that do good work is overwhelming. So far, that weariness does not appear to have set […]
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...