The New Albany Home and Garden Show this past Saturday benefitted from the cool, sunny weather early but it was likely the two dozen or so individual events that drew visitors. The comprehensive array of speakers covered flowers, vegetables, ways to raise them, how to deal with pests and even new ways to display (or […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By Lisa Brant I have been blessed in my life with two great role models of what a Christian woman, wife and mother should be and they were very different women. My mother was a strong, progressive, vibrant woman who died at age 69. She taught me how to stand on my own, to think […]
Regular readers of this page know this space is usually occupied by a Rheta Grimsley Johnson column. She has been a favorite writer of ours since her days at the Memphis Commercial Appeal, with her unique Southern, sometimes romantic, perspective. Occasionally she will tackle a tough subject but this week she took a particularly hard […]
New Albany is host to several public events during the year, most of them entertainment-oriented. One of the most successful, however, is different. For the past eight years the Union County Master Gardeners, with the Union County Extension Service, have held a spring home and garden show. While there are entertainment events during the show, […]
This past week we touted the value the UNITE Foundation has for Union County. Thursday night the organization handed out more than $20,000 to local agencies who work to improve the quality of our lives here. We noted that UNITE exists on the contributions of civic-minded individuals who have the best interests of Union County […]
By Lisa Bryant In today’s paper you will find the Green Magazine. In the front pages of the magazine you will find the calendar of events for the Garden Show. If you have never attended a Garden Show, you are missing a treat. Yes, it is put on by Master Gardeners, but don’t let that […]
By Camille Anding Another year!! How is it possible? I hear the steady, routine click of my cuckoo clock, and the seconds sound deliberate but not rushed. Yet I observe the days and months – even years and they are oiled and greased with a time-sensitive WD-40. Now a year’s planning ahead is not extreme […]
Thursday night the UNITE Foundation awarded more than $20,000 to 18 local organizations. Other agencies give money to community groups but most, such as United Way, focus on specific charitable needs. UNITE is unique in that, although it does help charities, it emphasizes overall community improvement rather than needy individuals. This is the fourteenth year […]
The good news is that the Northeast Mississippi Community College campus at New Albany is so successful they need to expand. The bad news is that they don’t have enough room to do so. Northeast President Ricky Ford said this past week that if they are to add more credit classes and expand other programs, […]
By Lisa Bryant A team from the Bower Foundation and the Mississippi Department of Education’s Office of Health Schools is going around to the schools to demonstrate the Move to Learn videos. The team has discovered that improving nutrition and physical activity will improve their academic studies. I don’t think this is a great surprise […]
- The Playhouse May 17, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- The Playhouse May 19, 2016
- River Players to present comedy-murder mystery next week May 19, 2016
- Myrtle Church to host Dave Ramsey financial series May 19, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- City wants residents to be aware of yard sale, sign regulations May 19, 2016
- Farmers’ Market opens June 4 May 19, 2016
- Downtown area getting new parking lot May 19, 2016
- More graduation ceremonies Friday night, Saturday May 19, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...