January has come and gone, but not before the Mississippi Legislature got down to work, considering legislation that, if passed, will set the state apart from most of the nation when it comes to setting standards for the education of our children. Many in the legislature are seeking to undermine, and even do away with, […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Jenny was sitting on the couch, reading emails on her laptop computer. “Hey,” she said. “This says I have to go online someplace and set up an account to print out my W-2 for our taxes.” “Surely not,” I said. “Usually it’s a form with several tear-apart pieces that comes in the mail.” Jenny logged […]
We’re not often impressed with consultants. Sometimes, we think, they make good money telling you what you already know or what you want to hear. But we think the decision several months ago by the Union County Development Association, backed by the city of New Albany and a local developer, to contract with Retail Strategies […]
Well, it’s that time of year when I am reminded of how little I remember about what I learned in school. It’s the week when some of us are trying to remember our Roman numerals. Why Roman numerals, you ask? Because we’re inundated with stories and ads in newspapers and magazines and on television that […]
One of New Albany’s most well-known regional events is on tap this Saturday in the New Albany Memorial Gym. It’s the 24th annual Kiwanis Hotbed Classic, a premier prep sports event in Northeast Mississippi. “The Hotbed, often imitated, never duplicated” is the motto of the tournament, which is the granddaddy of them all when it […]
They were stacked on the buffet in the dining room. They were stacked on the dresser and the bedside tables in the bedroom. And they were stacked in the home office. Parts of the house were beginning to look a little like one of those TV shows about hoarders and hoarding. You know – the […]
Monday the state Department of Transportation painted new highly visible crosswalks on Bankhead Street at the intersections of Central Avenue, Railroad Avenue and Main Street. We think they will make downtown a little safer for pedestrians and will be helpful to visitors, especially at the Tanglefoot plaza. As we understand it, local resident Logan Rutledge, […]
Arrogance. There’s really no better word for the actions of the Mississippi Legislature in trying to prevent passage of a proposed state constitutional amendment that would require the state to meet its obligations to finance public education. The legislators hardly had time to dust off their chairs in the new legislative session before passing a […]
Now that the hoopla surrounding the introduction of Jake Hill as the new football coach at New Albany High School is over, we want to add our note of welcome. Hill was hired Dec. 12 by the New Albany School Board of Trustees and was introduced, along with his wife and children, at a community […]
My wife Jenny was a little pessimistic when she heard what I wanted for Christmas. She suggested I would get it and then resist spending the time required to learn to use it. I had asked her for a new computer. Not just any computer, but one of those Microsoft Surface Pro 3s that claims […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Checking over my resume February 25, 2015
- Toyota production February 25, 2015
- Disappointed in editorial February 25, 2015
- Ingomar rallies late to post win February 25, 2015
- Falcons rally for win February 26, 2015
- Urchins fall to Chieftains’ scoring surge February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...