Edna Abernethy Edna Todd Abernethy, 87, of Madison, passed away Aug. 25, 2012 at Hospice Ministries in Ridgeland. She was born Oct. 13, 1924 in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas in the town of Donna. At the age of 14, she moved to the New Albany area and graduated from Macedonia High School. Since […]
Archive | Obituaries RSS feed for this section
Frank Swords Lester Franklin “Frank” Swords, a retired financial executive and local philanthropist, died Sunday, Aug. 26, 2012, at St. Francis Hospital in Memphis due to complications from brain surgery. He was 69. Swords was born in Ecru and moved to Memphis to attend Memphis State University, where he earned his Master’s degree in accounting. […]
Blanche Aldrich Blanche Aldrich died on Friday, Aug. 24, 2012 at 104 years of age in Memphis, Tenn. She was born in Union County, the daughter of John Gillam and Belle Lamar Ferguson. Aldrich had a long career in teaching in schools in the Mid-south, ending her career in the military overseas school program in […]
David Thompson Jimmy David Thompson, age 67, of New Albany, died Tuesday, Aug. 21, 2012 at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. He was born Oct. 19, 1944 in Benton County to the late Jim G. Thompson and Celia G. Brock Thompson. He was a clerk for Piggly Wiggly, and an auto mechanic. He loved […]
Roy Johnson Roy Eugene Johnson, 74, of New Albany and formerly of Memphis, Tenn., died Aug. 18, 2012 at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County, with his family at his side. Johnson was born March 15, 1938 in Water Valley to Roy Mel and Elsie Johnson, both deceased. His love for and service to our country began […]
Clara Harpole Clara Dee Poe “Momma Dee” Harpole, 83, of Blue Springs, died Tuesday, Aug. 21, 2012 at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. She was born Oct. 12, 1928 in Union County to the late Charlie and Rebecca Wilmoth Poe. She was a seamstress, homemaker and caregiver to those in need. She was a lifelong […]
Grover Wilhite Grover C. Wilhite, Jr., 80, died Thursday, Aug. 16, 2012 at the North Mississippi Medical Center. He was born Oct. 21, 1931 in Union County to the late Grover Cleveland Wilhite, Sr. and Flora A. Butler Wilhite. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army having served in the Korean War. He was […]
Margaret Ledbetter Margaret Rutherford Ledbetter, 88, of New Albany, died Friday, Aug. 17, 2012 at her home. She was born February 19, 1924 in Tippah County to William Scott and Angie Perkins Rutherford. She was a homemaker and enjoyed restoring furniture and antiques. She loved her animals, especially horses. She was a member of Ebenezer […]
William Craig William Keith Craig, 24, of Lake Village, Ark., died Thursday, Aug. 16, 2012. He was born Feb. 24, 1988, in Greenville and was a pipeliner and mechanic and a member of Sherman Baptist Church in Sherman. He is survived by his father, Brian Craig and his wife, Bridgett, of Lake Village, Ark.; his […]
Ruby Browning Ruby Frances Watson Browning, 88, of New Albany, died Wednesday, Aug. 8, 2012 at North MS Medical Center in Tupelo. She was born Jan. 12, 1924 in Union County. She retired at age 79 from a job she loved as supervisor from the Housekeeping Department at Baptist Memorial Hospital- Union County after nineteen […]
- Saturday is deadline for voter registration for Nov. 3 election September 30, 2015
- Lady Urchins secure division title with win over Baldwyn October 2, 2015
- Saturday noon is voter registration deadline October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins drop Mooreville from unbeaten ranks October 3, 2015
- All in a week’s work October 6, 2015
- Honoring Vance Witt October 7, 2015
- Not your father’s phone company October 7, 2015
- State Main Street president says local program one of best in state October 7, 2015
- Kirk defeats cancer through faith in God, family October 7, 2015
- City school board updates policy on overnight, other field trips October 7, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on