Rev. Welton Gaddy, a Baptist minister, is pastor at Northminster Church in Monroe, Louisiana. He also serves as the president of the Interfaith Alliance in Washington, D.C. This past week, according to a story carried by Associated Baptist Press, Gaddy issued a position paper detailing his support of civil unions for homosexuals. His argument is […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
The Union County School Board has voted to request a 4 percent increase in ad valorem taxes for the 2009-2010 year. Under Mississippi law, the Union County Supervisors are required to grant the request. The board decided to request the tax increase even though the preliminary estimate of the amount the county will receive in […]
Gene Mayo. 77 Eugene “Gene” Mayo, 77, of New Albany, died Saturday, August 8, 2009, at his home due to complications of a previous stroke. He was born January 1, 1932 in Union County to the late R.C. Mayo and Mary Crumpton Mayo. He was a retired dry wall finisher. He was a member of […]
Brianna Fae Logan and Pete Raif III were married in a beautiful wedding ceremony at Toccopola Baptist Church on Saturday, August 1. Attending from our community were the following: Faye Dillard, Bernis Graham, Lamar, Ruth and Amber Hale, Wendell and Lynn Russell. Emily Browning of Germantown,Tenn., enjoyed a visit with Don, Freida and Guide Browning […]
We have lots of sick in our community. Hazel Vance is in the hospital but is some better. Delores Douglass is very sick and has been for three weeks. Mildred Fair was sick Sunday as well as Joe Hale. James Shirley’s feet are much better. He was able to stand shoes on to come to […]
Dear Amy: My parents are crazy. My mother is a part of the parental gossip network in our town. All the mothers are always gossiping about teenagers and reporting what we do. I’m not even allowed to sleep over at one of my best friends’ houses now because my mom heard so many rumors about […]
I don’t think anyone can say we are not experiencing some hot August weather now with the coming of the summer month. It will be fall season before long but we have so much to be thankful for. I am sure thankful that I hope the worst of my unexpected fall-accident- is over the worst […]
What do you get when you take two traditional sports and combine them? For one New Albany resident, you have a sport quickly generating interest, not only in Union County, but the Deep South. Kayla Pablic has long had a love for horses. While living in Pennsylvania as a young child, Pablic joined the local […]
Union County residents will have an opportunity to find out more about a proposed county comprehensive plan at a meeting at 5 p.m. Monday in the Union County Courthouse. We encourage county residents to attend and offer their thoughts on the proposal drawn up by Slaughter and Associates, planners from Oxford. We haven’t had time […]
Johnny Wooldridge, 48 Johnny “Bulldog” Wooldridge, 48, of Baldwyn, died Monday, Aug. 3, 2009, at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Booneville. He was a member of Norris Chapel Baptist Church. He was a retired factory worker. He enjoyed hunting, riding four-wheelers and his dog, Boo., and he loved his grandson, Dawson, dearly. Services were at 2 […]
- Going to the ‘Ship’ May 18, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...