City officials are trying to work out a way to get what they believe is their share of the $300,000 Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi is giving to Union County annually for education. For now, the county is getting the entire amount. Part of the commitment Toyota made to the Pontotoc-Union-Lee County PUL Alliance in coming […]
The Mississippi House has again blocked an effort to allow voters in school districts with elected superintendents to vote on whether they want to continue that system. The House defeated 66 to 53 a plan that would have allowed voters to decide whether to have an appointed superintendent hired by the school board. Currently, most […]
It’s that time again. No, I’m not thinking of Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day hasn’t been a big thing at our house since the time I sent flowers to Jenny’s school in Oxford and the vase tipped over on the way home, soaking the carpet in her car. After I used a half roll of paper […]
New Albany and Union County have a decision to make about how competitive we want to be in trying to lure new manufacturers. At the moment, the community has about run out of quality ready-to-use space to accommodate the needs of new industries. Phil Nanney, executive director of the Union County Development Association, told the […]
By Dr. Linda Mitchell This morning when my big husky dog stepped out into the snow for the first time in his life, he looked at me and howled…before running back into the house. I laughed as I gathered snow while he watched from the doorway. When he did venture back outside it was almost […]
Mississippi teachers, who are among the lowest paid in the country, would get a $4,250 pay raise spread out over four years under a bill approved by the state House of Representatives Wednesday. The bill still must be considered by the Senate before it would become law, but prospects are considered pretty good. Mississippi teachers […]
Jaylon Glover is described by his teachers as a ‘great kid’. The 12-year-old died on Wednesday at Le Bonheur Medical Center in Memphis, Tenn. after going into cardiac arrest and suffering a stroke while playing basketball on Monday afternoon. Glover had been playing inside the gymnasium at Myrtle Methodist Church when he fainted, Myrtle Attendance […]
A Corinth-based contractor won the bid to construct a field house for the East Union Urchins football team. C.I.G. Contractors, Inc. placed a base bid of $619,900 to construct the field house. The company’s bid was the lowest among five opened in early January. Under state law, the county school district was required to accept […]
Mississippi Severe Weather Preparedness Week is Feb. 3-7, marking the beginning of what is historically a weather-active season. Union County, like the rest of Mississippi, is no stranger to damaging winds, flooding, hail and tornadoes. The state ranks near the top in number of tornadoes, long-track and violent tornadoes and tornado-related fatalities. Part of the […]
By Dr. Linda Mitchell When you hear the word “valentine,” what is the first word that comes to your mind? Is it heart? Red? Cupid? Love? Card? Candy? Flowers? Oh-no? If you’re like the majority of folks then the first word you think of is “heart.” Polls reveal the second word that folks claim […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Families of Union Countians killed in service to participate in Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ September 2, 2015
- Number of unemployed Union Countians back down slightly September 2, 2015
- Labor Day holiday to affect business, garbage collection schedules September 2, 2015
- Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ August 28, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Hoping to get a deal on some land September 2, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry