Festival organizers say they are hoping to improve upon the success of last year’s Tallahatchie RiverFest, New Albany’s signature fall festival that generally falls on the last weekend of September each year. This year’s festival will be Sept. 25 and 26 falling on the birthday of William Faulkner (Sept. 25) the date around which the […]
The New Albany School Board met briefly Monday, earlier than their regular schedule due to the start of the fall session next week. One of the themes was that everything is ready for the semester to start, Superintendent Jackie Ford said. “All the things that are needed are here,” he said, adding that a new […]
The state’s annual Sales Tax Holiday will take place this weekend beginning at 12:01 a.m. Friday, July 31, and ending at midnight Saturday, Aug. 1. The “back to school” event will save seven percent in sales tax for specific, mostly clothing, items that cost less than $100 each. It was established and set for this […]
The folks who run the Holiday Inns used to advertise that the best surprise is no surprise. If that were true, we would be in luck here in Mississippi when it comes to the well-being of children and families. Again this year the state ranks 50th among the states in the annual Kids Count survey […]
Construction is under way to renovate the rear section of the old Bank of New Albany building (more recently, Van-Atkins), which will serve as a welcome center for visitors to Tanglefoot Trail. Laura Dunnam is overseeing the project for her father, Dr. John Goudelock, who owns the building. The city is leasing the space, which […]
The Union County Sheriff’s Department completed its annual compliance check of registered sex offenders in the county this week. Anyone convicted of one of a variety of sexually-related crimes must register his or her whereabouts with the state and update that information if her or she moves. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said Union County has 49 […]
County law enforcement officers are still trying to determine whether there is more than meets the eye in connection with a stop they made Sunday night that netted drugs, guns and cash. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said the incident began when one of his deputies was just starting his shift Sunday evening and getting gasoline at […]
Circuit Clerk Phyllis Stanford said her office will be open this Saturday, July 25, for the convenience of qualified absentee voters who want to cast ballots in one of the two Aug. 4 party primaries. Stanford added that anyone who has changed his or her address since voting, or made other pertinent changes, needs to […]
Union County’s unemployment rate for June was up slightly – but also up was the size of the workforce. The county reported 5.3 percent unemployment for June, an increase from the lower 4.5 percent a couple of months ago. Even with that increase, Union County moved up from eighth-lowest jobless in the state to sixth-lowest. […]
New Albany artist – and now author – Katherine Dye was the guest at Luncheon with Books this month, talking about her book of life lessons based alphabetical scripture verses she first learned in the fourth grade. Dye is well known as an artist, particularly for her prints of the city’s old railroad depots and […]
- Lady Eagles fly past Lady Rebels September 28, 2015
- Gooch and Thompson power Lady Falcons to win October 1, 2015
- Supervisors get update on debts owed to county October 2, 2015
- Witt named to NEMCC Hall of Fame October 2, 2015
- Low unemployment rate continues for county October 2, 2015
- Saturday noon is voter registration deadline October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins secure division title with win over Baldwyn October 2, 2015
- Fast start gives Urchins win in division opener October 2, 2015
- Accolade for Baptist October 2, 2015
- Second Rubber Duck Regatta called success October 2, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on