This column is reprinted from the June 9, 2010, Gazette. Unpacking our CDs the other day was a lesson in generational differences. We’ve got a couple hundred and I had asked Joe, our son, to sort them by genre and then put them onto shelves. Soon, he was asking lots of questions. He was unpacking […]
Spring arrives at 5:45 p.m. Friday, according to the official charts. But for many of us, it sort of arrived Sunday when the sun and the temperature combined for a delightful day. We needed it, too, after snow, ice and seemingly unending rain that made for a somewhat miserable end of winter. Of course, we […]
The Federal Aviation Administration is considering a proposal that would eventually lead to almost doubling the length of the New Albany-Union County Airport runway. If approved, when the project is completed it could attract air and business traffic from other North Mississippi airports, help Toyota and other suppliers and even bring more revenue through private […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors approved a bid this past week to renovate and extend the office of the MSU Extension Service at the fairgrounds, which is now presenting a logistics problem. Work is planned to be so extensive that the staff and all of the contents will have to be moved out during […]
Those who regularly travel on Hwy. 30 E. from the Locust Grove area into New Albany and down Highland Avenue may want to consider a different route over the next several days. Barnhart Crane and Rigging of Memphis is preparing to remove the remaining turbines and generators from the former Enron electric power generating plant […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON MOOREVILLE – East Union’s Lady Urchins gave perennial 3A power Mooreville all they could handle on Saturday before falling 2-1 in a hastily scheduled game due to recent rains. “I love playing Mooreville, in my opinion they are the best of the best,” East Union coach Josh Blythe said. “They’ve got two […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON East Union won their game one in the late innings and lost game two in extra innings at the Pontotoc baseball tournament on Saturday. The Urchins defeated TCPS 7-0 and lost to North Pontotoc 4-3. Witt Roaton had a brilliant performance on the mound in game one, allowing only one hit while […]
The board of directors of the Union County Historical Society have not reached a decision concerning bids submitted Feb. 24 for the planned $1.6-million expansion of the Union County Heritage Museum. Museum Director Jill Smith said the board did meet Monday, but is still waiting to hear from architect William Mills, who was to talk […]
Mississippians have to deal with at least one election cycle each year so most of the procedure should be familiar routine. But every once in a while, some new question or quirk comes up. This year, for instance, many people found out that an elected office exists here for which a person may qualify and […]
So far, 10 candidates including one with Union County ties have entered the race to fill the unexpired term of Rep. Alan Nunnelee. Two more weeks remain in the qualifying period with a March 27 deadline. Nunnelee, a Republican from Tupelo, died on Feb. 6 from cancer. The local candidate is attorney Greg Pirkle. Although […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry