By Lou McQuary On Friday, June 14, Ginger, Stephen, and Wesley Harrell; Emily and Julie Canoy; Shirley and James Shirley; Susan, Ben, and Kellie McClelland; Angela, Jimmy, Jacob, Savannah, and CJ Shirley; and Brandi, Kevin, Jon Collier, and Reed Cooper enjoyed a vacation at the Caribe Resort in Orange Beach. It was a beautiful resort […]
By Susan Hooker, 419-5842 It’s magnolia time in Mississippi. Also the fragrance of the gardenias adds to the mixture on a breezy, summer day. Local produce stands are advertising squash, tomatoes, and strawberries. Plums, blackberries, and blueberries are also being shared by neighbors. All of the rain this past spring has the farming in Mud […]
Mississippi State’s magical run toward a coveted national championship ended Tuesday night in an 8-0 loss to UCLA. In short, State just couldn’t execute the way they had all through the regional, super regional, and College World Series. By the way, UCLA did execute and used the field, wind, and every opportunity to their advantage […]
It’s my wife’s fault that I broke my glasses. That’s what I think. Of course, Jenny doesn’t agree. (You were pretty sure she wouldn’t, weren’t you?) She says she was 475 miles away in northern Kentucky at the time. Well, she was actually. But it’s still her fault. It all started 10 days ago when […]
Mississippi’s standing has improved for the first time in 24 years on the national Kids Count survey that measures the well-being of children and families. But before you start back-slapping and high-fiving, we note that the state has moved to 49th, from 50th, in the annual compilation of statistics by the Annie E. Casey Foundation. […]
by Eric Olson/The Associated Press OMAHA, Neb. — A Southeastern Conference team is heading to the College World Series finals for the sixth straight year. For the first time, it’s Mississippi State. Hunter Renfroe hit a three-run homer off the back wall of the left-field bullpen, and Kendall Graveman and two relievers held the Beavers […]
Ripley High School has chosen Cliff Ormon to be their next girls basketball coach. Ripley principal Jeff Palmer confirmed the hiring Thursday afternoon. The move must be approved by the South Tippah School Board. Ormon returns to Tippah County where he coached the Pine Grove Lady Panthers for eight seasons (2004-12) before spending the last […]
Although tornadoes can strike any time of the year, the “official” severe storm season has begun. Conventional wisdom has been to get in a shelter if possible when a tornado warning occurs, and if this is not possible, get in an interior room or closet. As the recent rash of severe tornadoes in the Midwest […]
We occasionally experience interruptions of electric power and other utility services, often as a result of bad weather. That’s something we have little control over. But other types of widespread service interruptions often could be avoided with a simple phone call. “When you dig – even for simply planting a tree or digging a hole […]
Defense… That was the story of the exhibition game between the East Union Urchins against the New Albany Bulldogs Thursday night. It was a back and forth, topsy turvy, razzle dazzle game with the Urchins coming out with a 6-1 victory. It looked like a good start for the Bulldogs in the first inning on […]
- Saturday is deadline for voter registration for Nov. 3 election September 30, 2015
- Supervisors get update on debts owed to county October 2, 2015
- Witt named to NEMCC Hall of Fame October 2, 2015
- Low unemployment rate continues for county October 2, 2015
- Second Rubber Duck Regatta called success October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins drop Mooreville from unbeaten ranks October 3, 2015
- Saturday noon is voter registration deadline October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins secure division title with win over Baldwyn October 2, 2015
- Fast start gives Urchins win in division opener October 2, 2015
- Accolade for Baptist October 2, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on