By Stephanie Rebman and Floyd Ingram Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – A Myrtle man died in a Chickasaw County crash Friday afternoon south of Okolona. According to Mississippi Highway Patrol’s Criss Turnipseed, the fatal crash happened about 3:30 p.m. on Mississippi Highway 245 about half a mile north of U.S. Highway 45 […]
The deadline to qualify to run in the May 12 special election to fill the First Congressional Seat passed Friday afternoon with one potential candidate dropping out and one being added at the last minute. Columbus businessman Danny Bedwell did not get the 1,000 petition signatures needed to qualify, blaming the lack on himself. The […]
Election season is here again and with that comes campaign signs. Given the number of candidates seeking local offices this year, we likely will be seeing a lot of signs. As a result, city, county and state officials are reminding candidates to be aware of where they can legally place signs and where they can’t. […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors Monday approved a proclamation that would designate our county as a “Purple Heart County.” The proclamation was a request from the Military Order of the Purple Heart as part of a plan to make the entire state a Purple Heart State and honor veterans who have been wounded and […]
The election-year hoopla by Mississippi elected officials about trying to reduce or even eliminate the state income tax has quietly subsided. Gov. Phil Bryant, Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves and House Speaker Philip Gunn all trumpeted income tax relief, but in the end the House and Senate could not agree on a plan. Some have speculated […]
Union Countians may see near-freezing temperatures this weekend but warm weather should be here to stay soon and organizers have already started working on this year’s Biscuits and Jam Farmers’ Market. Master Gardeners Pat and Lisa James are again overseeing the event with Mary Jennifer Russell coordinating crafts and food vendors. “Everything is pretty much […]
A regular term of circuit court was held in Union County this past month involving a few civil cases, but mostly criminal cases with drug offenses predominating. Some of the pleas and sentencing for which court proceedings have been completed include: Rydell Coleman, 20, of 1203 Hwy. 355, Etta, who pleaded guilty to sale of […]
The deadline to qualify for the special election to fill the term of Cong. Alan Nunnelee, who died from cancer Feb. 6, is 5 p.m. today, March 27. Of the 13 professed candidates, only some had actually qualified this week because each must turn in a petition with the names of 1,000 registered voters in […]
The City of New Albany is making a slight change in the way it handles zoning and code enforcement. For years, we have had a city building inspector, who also handles zoning matters on behalf of the city’s planning and zoning commission. More recently, with the effort to rid the city of unsafe and inhabitable […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry