The annual Senior Citizens Day presented through a grant with the Union County Sheriff’s Department will be next Thursday, May 21, at the Union County Fairgrounds. The program will again be in the arena and begin about 10:34 a.m. As usual, a fish lunch will be served at noon. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said Doug Hill […]
The New Albany Police Department is again participating in the national Click It or Ticket safety program that runs May 18-31 and includes the Memorial Day Weekend. The department has received a grant that will pay for overtime to allow officers to set up checkpoints and add patrols to check for seatbelt and child seat […]
New Albany Superintendent of Schools Jackie Ford, right, presents a certificate of appreciation to Melanie Anderson. The board of trustees wanted to thank Anderson for her outstanding work as clerk of the board and had the certificate created. She also is the executive assistant to Ford, as well as keeping other school district operations running […]
What at first looked like a nuisance call turned into four felony drug arrests and the seizure of a variety of illegal drugs and paraphernalia for New Albany police this past Friday. Chief Chris Robertson said the case began about 9 a.m. on Hwy. 348 when someone reported hearing popping sounds. An officer got behind […]
About 100 people came to the courthouse lawn Thursday to observe the National Day of Prayer. The theme this year was “Lord, hear our cry.” Those attending were welcomed and viewed the presentation of colors by the New Albany High School Junior Air Force R.O.T.C. and the playing of the national anthem. Area pastors then […]
The Union County Sheriffs Department’s K9, Dutch, has received a ballistic vest thanks to a nationwide Groupon event that has raised over $335,000. The “Occasions” campaign for Groupon Grassroots to outfit police K9’s with bullet and stab protective vests ran February 15 through March 5. Vested Interest in K9s, Inc. was the nationwide non-profit organization […]
The New Albany Board of Aldermen voted Tuesday to allow its tourism department to serve alcohol at a dinner May 22 in the Park Along the River. The board voted 3 to 1 to allow alcohol to be served at a $50-a-plate event in the public park. Voting in favor were Aldermen Jeff Olson, Scott […]
New Albany aldermen voted unanimously Tuesday to apply for a $150,000 Land and Water Conservation Grant that would, along with other funding sources, provide a new farmers’ market pavilion, new restrooms at the Park Along the River, two river access points, a connecting path and a riverbank amphitheatre. With Mayor Tim Kent on vacation, Vice-Mayor […]
Noon Saturday is the deadline to cast an absentee ballot in the May 12 special election to fill the House of Representatives seat left vacant following the death of Alan Nunnelee Feb. 6. Mailed-in absentee ballots may be received by Union County Circuit Clerk Phyllis Stanford up until 5 p.m. Monday, however. Stanford’s office will […]
It’s hard to think of the Union County Fair without Stanley Wise, but we are going to have to get used to it. Wise retired last Thursday as Mississippi State’s Union County Extension Director, ending nearly 30 years of work with extension service, the last 15 here in Union County. During Wise’s tenure the fair, […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Hoping to get a deal on some land September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Liberty resident exhibits ‘charm’ for visitors September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry