Some of New Albany’s streets are in need of help. The asphalt on some streets has split leaving large cracks and others, including commercial arteries, are littered with potholes. It’s a two-pronged problem really, because some streets including the main drag, Bankhead Street, are the responsibility of the state to keep in good repair. And, […]
New Albany’s proposed 2016 budget was scheduled for a public hearing Tuesday with little expectation it would be changed significantly. It called for no tax increase and the total increased by only 2.2 percent, up to a little more than $6.5 million. Almost exactly half of the city’s revenue comes from retail sales, which has […]
Residents have had a pretty steady diet of political news most of this year – and will have some more as the November general election draws closer. Almost lost behind the interest in local races has been the fact that voters will also have to decide on a constitutional question come Nov. 3 They will […]
Having no working air conditioning did not prevent prospective buyers from nearly fill the courtroom Monday morning for the annual land sale held by Union County Tax Assessor-Collector Randy Dunnam. When property owners fail to pay taxes on the land, it is put up for auction. Above, relatives are first given an opportunity […]
Pre-Kindergarten students at New Albany Elementary School got to visit with some one-day-olds Monday before turning them out into the world. The “youngsters” were Monarch butterflies that emerged only the day before, each coming out of its chrysalis as a fully-grown adult. “There are no baby butterflies,” Master Gardener Tim Burress told the […]
All governmental offices, the schools and many businesses will be closed Monday, Sept. 7, in observance of the Labor Day holiday. The New Albany Gazette will be closed Monday as well, which means advertising and editorial deadlines will be moved up. Both city and county solid-waste collection will be affected by the holiday. In the […]
Union County’s unemployment rate for July was down slightly from June. The county reported 5.0 percent unemployment for July, a decrease from the higher 5.3 percent the previous month. This moves Union County to having the sixth-lowest jobless rate in the state and second-lowest in the north half of the state. Once gain, Union County […]
Families of Union Countians killed in service to participate in Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’
Following the events of Sept. 11, 2001 (known as 9/11) President George Bush declared a day of remembrance and subsequently congress expanded the day to include a remembrance of all of the sacrifices our citizens have made over the years to keep our country free. Certainly many sacrifices have come from Union County, Mississippi. The […]
Blue Mountain College President Dr. Barbara C. McMillin announced to the student body at the college’s Convocation Friday that Philadelphia Eagles football quarterback Tim Tebow will be the keynote speaker at the Blue Mountain College Fundraising Gala to be held at the BancorpSouth Arena on Tuesday, April 12, 2016. McMillin said, “We are very excited […]
The Retired Education Personnel of New Albany and Union County will meet at 10 a.m. on Thursday, Sept. 10, at the meeting room of BNA in downtown New Albany with New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Julie Cantrell as guest speaker. Not only members but others who would like to attend are invited. Cantrell […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs felled by second half against Itawamba August 29, 2015
- New four-lane section of Hwy. 45 open September 4, 2015
- College and career night to be held at career and tech center September 4, 2015
- NAHS to hold Senior Parent Night September 4, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry