The Union County Farm Service Agency announces that the election for County Committee member from Local Administrative Area 2 has begun. Landowners and producers of agricultural products may nominate a producer from LAA-2 to serve a 3-year term on the COC, the nomination period started June17 and ends Aug. 1. LAA-2 includes Ingomar, Bald Hill, […]
We learned with considerable surprise this week that New Albany now has a marketing director. Apparently aldermen had been discussing the idea for many months, but not at any meetings I attended. Local governments still have a tendency to do most of their horse-trading and rat-killing outside public meetings and that is not likely to […]
Winners of the Lil Ms. Trail Blazer pageant were, from left, Stella Jo Porch, daughter of Chase and Jordan Porch, third; Kyla Porch, daughter of Keegan and Charlie Porch, second; and Brianna Voyles, daughter of Brian and Brittney Voyles, winner. Winners of the Lil Mr. Trail Blazer pageant were, from left, Ryder Neal, son of […]
The winner in the variety act category of the junior division was Haley Cockrell of Ripley, who sang “Pulled.” Second was MacKenzie Huffstatler of Walnut who sang “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus. Youth division entrants are considered for competition in the Mid-South Fair but may call fair officials to ask about being included. Winner of […]
The GumTree Quilters Guild will host a Quilter’s Bed Turning and Quilt Show on Saturday, August 24, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in Tupelo at 608 W. Jefferson St, All Saints Episcopal Church, Parish Hall. Admission is $3.00. This will be an exhibit of quilts and quilt-related items of individual projects made by the […]
By Adam Ganucheau Daily Journal SALTILLO – The location of an American white pelican that was shot last week remains unknown, despite multiple calls to the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks. An investigation into the shooting is ongoing, according to MDWFP Officer Richard Stephen, but officials are not optimistic that the shooter will […]
The City of New Albany now has a marketing director. Mayor Tim Kent said the Board of Aldermen hired New Albany native Sean Johnson for the post at an adjourned meeting Thursday. Johnson now serves as marketing director for the Tupelo Convention and Visitors’ Bureau. Kent said aldermen had been discussing the move since about […]
Tuition funding a challenge but Northeast still good value for Union County students, president tells supervisors
Budget time is rolling around again for city aldermen and county supervisors and this is when various organizations who receive local government funding come to make their cases to officials. Monday, Northeast Mississippi Community College President Johnny Allen visited Union County Supervisors, not so much asking for funds as giving a report on the value […]
Liberty School meeting Liberty school August meeting and pizza and dessert dinner will be Tuesday, August 20 beginning at 6:00 p.m. Entertainment will be provided. Everyone is welcome. NAACP announces August meeting The Union County NAACP will hold their monthly meeting on Monday, Aug. 12, at 6:00 p.m. at Watson Grove Baptist Church. The meeting […]
Fourteen Union County young people learned about principles of gravity, motion and other aspects of physics related to space travel during Space Camp at the Union County Extension Service. 4-H Youth Agent Gina Wills and Extension Director Stanley Wise led the group through a series of experiments including building and launching a rocket. Here, from […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Families of Union Countians killed in service to participate in Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ September 2, 2015
- Number of unemployed Union Countians back down slightly September 2, 2015
- Labor Day holiday to affect business, garbage collection schedules September 2, 2015
- Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ August 28, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Hoping to get a deal on some land September 2, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry