The Union County Tax assessor’s office is now accepting applications for homestead exemptions and personal property renditions for the 2015 land roll. A change has been made in the Homestead Exemption law designed to benefit disabled veterans. Thanks to House Bill 1165 passed last year, any disabled veteran whose disability is 100 percent and directly […]
Union County’s unemployment rate for January was 6.4 percent, more than half a percentage point above December’s 5.8 percent rate. Despite the increase, the county still moved one place better in the statewide ratings from 10th-lowest to ninth-lowest this month. In a trend that has continued for the past few months, only one county in […]
Union County Extension County Director Stanley Wise will retire April 30 after 30 years’ service – almost exactly half of that time in Union County. “It was a lot tougher to come in and say than I thought it would be,” he said, after informing the Union County Board of Supervisors, but agreed with retiring […]
This column is reprinted from the June 9, 2010, Gazette. Unpacking our CDs the other day was a lesson in generational differences. We’ve got a couple hundred and I had asked Joe, our son, to sort them by genre and then put them onto shelves. Soon, he was asking lots of questions. He was unpacking […]
Spring arrives at 5:45 p.m. Friday, according to the official charts. But for many of us, it sort of arrived Sunday when the sun and the temperature combined for a delightful day. We needed it, too, after snow, ice and seemingly unending rain that made for a somewhat miserable end of winter. Of course, we […]
The Federal Aviation Administration is considering a proposal that would eventually lead to almost doubling the length of the New Albany-Union County Airport runway. If approved, when the project is completed it could attract air and business traffic from other North Mississippi airports, help Toyota and other suppliers and even bring more revenue through private […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors approved a bid this past week to renovate and extend the office of the MSU Extension Service at the fairgrounds, which is now presenting a logistics problem. Work is planned to be so extensive that the staff and all of the contents will have to be moved out during […]
Those who regularly travel on Hwy. 30 E. from the Locust Grove area into New Albany and down Highland Avenue may want to consider a different route over the next several days. Barnhart Crane and Rigging of Memphis is preparing to remove the remaining turbines and generators from the former Enron electric power generating plant […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON MOOREVILLE – East Union’s Lady Urchins gave perennial 3A power Mooreville all they could handle on Saturday before falling 2-1 in a hastily scheduled game due to recent rains. “I love playing Mooreville, in my opinion they are the best of the best,” East Union coach Josh Blythe said. “They’ve got two […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON East Union won their game one in the late innings and lost game two in extra innings at the Pontotoc baseball tournament on Saturday. The Urchins defeated TCPS 7-0 and lost to North Pontotoc 4-3. Witt Roaton had a brilliant performance on the mound in game one, allowing only one hit while […]
- County still trying to find solution to likely loss of jail trusties June 24, 2015
- Museum Madness registration underway July 1, 2015
- Groundbreaking for museum expansion will be Thursday July 1, 2015
- Man faces series of auto burglary, theft charges July 1, 2015
- Holiday weekend schedule changes include rare Saturday circuit clerk opening July 1, 2015
- Spring cleaning? Well, sort of July 1, 2015
- Honoring our nation July 1, 2015
- City school board adopts no-tax-increase budget, makes money-saving deals July 1, 2015
- Supervisors discuss funding Tupelo women’s shelter, industrial tax exemptions July 1, 2015
- Circuit clerk’s office to be open for voting Saturday despite holiday July 1, 2015
- Edwin Montenegro: Yeah welcome to south American toyota. We love you...
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry