Circuit Clerk Phyllis Stanford, far left, and Election Commissioners Bill Azlin, Wayne Wilhite, Graham Spencer, (in rear of photo) T. Michael Beam and Barbara Reed check a forest of voting machines set up in the courtroom Tuesday to get them ready for next Tuesday’s run-off. Before each device can be used it must be programmed, […]
Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County has been taking steps to increase the general level of health and fitness in the community, with increasing focus of programs utilizing businesses and industries. Their primary tool for that is the Baptist Healthplex, which the healthcare organization has spent close to $500,000 on in the past five years for improvements. […]
Mississippians were recently treated to a tax-free holiday, established by the legislature to help families pay for back-to-school clothing items. Over a three-day period, purchasers were not required to pay the state seven-percent retail sales tax on approved clothing items that cost less than $100. This past year, the legislature also added what they call […]
Six local Democratic races and one Republican race remain to be settled next Tuesday to determine party nominees for the November election. The six Democratic office nominees to be decided include First District, Third District and Fifth District Supervisor, East Post Justice Court Judge, West Post Constable and County Superintendent of Education. The only remaining […]
Work continues to convert the back of the former Bank of New Albany building into a welcome and visitors’ center for Tanglefoot Trail. Renovation is going on inside the building to add a restroom, small office and lobby space. This week crews were correcting some draining problems and preparing to move to the back […]
A Shummard’s Oak tree was planted at BNA Bank Park this past week to commemorate the life of Jagger Zinzer. Jagger was the infant son of Jeff and Jonde Zinzer and who died Dec. 1 this past year. “I just laid him down for a nap and when I came back he was not breathing,” […]
City officials had been considering closing the alley beside Cooper Park but compromised by keeping it open and one way only, and not permitting drivers going through the alley to make left turns onto Bankhead Street. New signs were placed recently to warn drivers not to turn left, and to watch for pedestrians stepping out […]
Some Union County school students are starting the year off with a better ride. In May, Superintendent Ken Basil recommended to the school board the purchase of nine school buses through an equipment lease purchase program. The board agreed, the district advertised and accepted sealed bids for the financing of the purchase and the lowest […]
Attendees at Luncheon With Books at the Union County Library Tuesday learned how ordinary citizens can change the course of history. Retired teacher Linda Everett discussed “George Washington’ Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution,” by Brian Kilmeade. Apparently George Washington had only six spies and it was perhaps still unusual to […]
The New Albany-Union County Airport is one of several that will receive matching funds after the Mississippi Transportation Commission recently authorized the Mississippi Department of Transportation to provide money for upcoming federal airport improvement projects. These funds will provide 50 percent of the local matching share to projects funded by the Federal Aviation Administration. The […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry