By Joanna Madding Tallahatchie Tidal Waves Swim Team of New Albany/Union County had one of their own participate in his third triathlon – and he’s only six years old. Swimming is one of the fastest growing sports and is one that can be promoted as a lifelong skill. Let’s say he’s using his lifelong skill […]
By Joanna Manning The second leading cause of death in children ages 14 and under is accidental drowning. Did you know that? Another staggering set of statistics include ten people die a day from drowning accidents. Preventable? Possibly made better with formal swimming lessons. Over 70 percent of African Americans, 60 percent of Latinos, and […]
By Gene Phelps/NEMS Daily Journal JACKSON – This year’s state championship was a lot sweeter for New Albany High School tennis twins Christopher and Christian Scott. The brothers, sporting their trademark mohawk haircuts, defeated St. Stanislaus’ Mitchell Walk and James Luffey 6-3, 6-4 Tuesday to clinch the Bulldogs’ 5-2 victory in the MHSAA Tennis Championships […]
Junie Mae Cartwright Timmons, 83, of Ripley, died Saturday, May 18, 2013, at Magnolia Regional Medical Center in Corinth. She was born June 24, 1929, to Charlie and Mittie Mae Hall Cartwright. She was a member of The Church of The Lord Jesus Christ in Blue Mountain. She was retired from American Biltrite. Services were […]
Dorthy Faye Hall Stanton, 83, died Saturday, May 18, 2013, at Graceland Care Center in New Albany. She was born Feb. 6, 1930, in Union County, to Mark Calvin Hall and Mary Lou Adair Hall. She was a homemaker who loved her flowers and babysitting. She was a member of the New Prospect Primitive Baptist […]
Mary Etta Cobb Simmons, 88, of Myrtle, died Thursday, May 16, 2013, at Union County Health and Rehab in New Albany. She was born Sept. 13, 1924, in Ingomar to Henry Anderson and Mary Elizabeth Gement Cobb. She was a member of Temple Baptist Church in Myrtle. She loved her church family and lived a […]
Timothy Ben Ross, 58, of Pontotoc, died Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center Hospice in Tupelo. He was born Aug. 7, 1954, in Pontotoc County to Collins A. and Mary Elizabeth Dowdy Ross. He worked for M.D.O.T. He was a passionate turkey and deer hunter. He was a member of Shady Grove […]
Jill Cataldo saves hundreds by making the most of the common coupon. You can, too. Here’s how. Rebranding the stockpile By Jill Cataldo CTW Features “Stockpiling” is the term couponers have long used for shopping ahead of sales cycles, then storing groceries and supplies until the next sale. It’s a great strategy for shelf-stable, non-perishable […]
By Susan Hooker The fragrance of the honeysuckle vines is a pleasant one as the recent flash floods in the area have contributed to a countryside lush with greenery and flowers. Magnolias are also in bud. The roses are also beautiful. Southern smells of the month of May are timeless. The ‘grandarlins’ have shared roses […]
By Martha Swindle The Sherman Public Library will conduct its summer reading program every Friday in June from 10 to 11 a.m. All children ages 4 and 5 and 1st through 6th grades are invited to join in the fun. This summer’s theme, “Dig into Reading,” is about the wonders under your feet – vegetable […]
- County still trying to find solution to likely loss of jail trusties June 24, 2015
- Museum Madness registration underway July 1, 2015
- Groundbreaking for museum expansion will be Thursday July 1, 2015
- Man faces series of auto burglary, theft charges July 1, 2015
- Holiday weekend schedule changes include rare Saturday circuit clerk opening July 1, 2015
- Spring cleaning? Well, sort of July 1, 2015
- Honoring our nation July 1, 2015
- City school board adopts no-tax-increase budget, makes money-saving deals July 1, 2015
- Supervisors discuss funding Tupelo women’s shelter, industrial tax exemptions July 1, 2015
- Circuit clerk’s office to be open for voting Saturday despite holiday July 1, 2015
- Edwin Montenegro: Yeah welcome to south American toyota. We love you...
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry