We hope you will pause for a moment Saturday and join us in observing the birth of our country. It is the official date that we commemorate the adoption in 1776 of the Declaration of Independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain. It’s a time to give thanks for a strong federal government, one that […]
New Albany school trustees approved a budget with no tax increase next year, signed an agreement to greatly reduce basic printing and copying costs and nearly completed personnel changes for the fall semester at a called meeting at noon Monday. The meeting took the place of the usual July meeting due to the holiday schedule. […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors held an abbreviated meeting Monday with Benny Rakestraw presiding in the absence of board president Danny Jordan and also supervisor Randy Owen. A representative of SAFE, Inc., the shelter for abused women and children in Tupelo, was present to ask for continued budget support by the board. SAFE provides […]
Absentee voting is now under way in Union County Circuit Clerk Phyllis Stanford’s office for the Aug. 4 Democratic and Republic primaries. Because of the way dates for the primary and the Independence Day holiday have fallen, Stanford will have a very unusual schedule this week that may affect absentee voters. Her office will be […]
All city, county and state governmental offices will close next Friday, July 3, for the legal observance of the July 4 Independence Day holiday. Most businesses, including the New Albany Gazette, are expected to remain open, however. Local banks will be open as well. Because of the holiday, the Gazette is publishing this issue as […]
A New Albany man is facing charges for an admittedly drug-fueled truck theft and string of auto burglaries this past week. Chief Chris Robertson said Charles Gregory Hall, 23 is charged with one count of either taking possession of an auto or grand larceny, and seven counts of burglary of an auto. The incidents all […]
Groundbreaking ceremonies for the $1.6 million expansion of the Union County Heritage Museum will be Thursday, July 2, at 10 a.m. at the construction site behind the museum. The public is invited to join this moment, which will be followed by a reception with lemonade and cookies. The museum is located at 114 Cleveland Street […]
Museum Madness is headed Full STEAM Ahead, for the 2015 summer discovery activity program for children. This year’s activities are focused on Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics. Dates for this year week of activities will be July 13 – July 17, 9 a.m. – noon. “We are excited about this year’s activities, “said Jill […]
(Staff reports) New Albany elementary school students will be able to explore classical music through a hands-on program during the coming school year. A partnership of Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute, the North Mississippi Symphony Orchestra and local patrons will make the Carnegie Link Up curriculum available to third- through fifth-graders at no cost to […]
Today’s issue of the Gazette contains the sixth edition of Explore Magazine, our annual glossy tourism and marketing guide touting the benefits of New Albany and Union County. It’s something all of us at the Gazette are proud of because it has been an unqualified success story. This year’s issue has grown to 100 pages, […]
- Saturday is deadline for voter registration for Nov. 3 election September 30, 2015
- Lady Urchins secure division title with win over Baldwyn October 2, 2015
- Saturday noon is voter registration deadline October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins drop Mooreville from unbeaten ranks October 3, 2015
- All in a week’s work October 6, 2015
- Honoring Vance Witt October 7, 2015
- Not your father’s phone company October 7, 2015
- State Main Street president says local program one of best in state October 7, 2015
- Kirk defeats cancer through faith in God, family October 7, 2015
- City school board updates policy on overnight, other field trips October 7, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on