We were reminded this past week of the importance of those people in our community who volunteer their time and energy to help make our lives and the lives of others better. The occasion was the annual Tree of Love Ceremony at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. Four women were honored for their decades of volunteer […]
About New Albany Gazette
Author Archive | New Albany Gazette
Christmas is fast approaching and time is short for providing holiday help for families in need in Union County through the Gazette’s Sharing at Christmas program. We are a bit concerned about the pace of contributions to support the program that has been sponsored by the Gazette for 40 years. We have set a fundraising […]
If you don’t already have plans for Thursday evening, we have a suggestion for you. Why not come downtown for a stroll, look in a few shops and perhaps have dinner? We make this suggestion for a couple of reasons. First, many of us could use a little exercise, and a walk on a crisp […]
The calendar hasn’t even turned to the election year yet, but political demagoguery already is out of control in Mississippi. Gov. Phil Bryant, apparently wary of a possible primary election challenger from the Tea Party, has embarked on a pattern of attacks about efforts to raise education standards, attacks that are a disservice to our […]
The sale of the Parks Chevrolet-Buick-GMC dealership in New Albany marks the end of an era that has spanned 95 years. What started with William N. “Newt” Parks Sr. (Bill Parks’ great-grandfather) opening Parks Auto Co. in 1919 and selling Studebakers ended with the sale of the family-owned business to Joe Marshall of Tupelo on […]
University tuition costs are going up again at eight public universities, including the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State University. The College Board is about to approve increases that average 3.2 percent, but are 5 percent at both of the two flagship state universities. Tuition and fees at both schools will be about $7,500 a […]
The first salvo in election-year look-at-me politics has been sounded with Gov. Phil Bryant’s proposal Monday for an income tax cut for roughly 300,000 tax filers. The governor has included a tax credit for families making up to $52,000 a year in his budget recommendation to next year’s Legislature. Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves also is […]
Two events this week reminded us of the effective and important work two local nonprofit agencies do on shoestring budgets and without much fanfare. The Holiday Open House downtown Sunday and the Union County Job Fair Wednesday were both extremely successful. The Holiday Open House is one of the events sponsored by the New Albany […]
Nothing gets our dander up faster than a story about businesses failing to pay their state sales tax. A story this week by Emily Le Coz in The Clarion-Ledger was about a Jackson restaurant owner charged with felony tax evasion in what state revenue officials call a growing epidemic of sales tax evasion that cost […]
Union County is blessed with a relatively low rate of unemployment, but that does not mean that we do not have people seeking jobs or seeking better jobs than they have. Next Wednesday those seeking a job, or a better job, will have an opportunity to meet with nearly two dozen employers in the region […]
- Downtown crosswalks January 21, 2015
- When numerals are Roman January 28, 2015
- Hancock enters supervisor, District 1 race January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co. to build new warehouse January 28, 2015
- Retail Strategies January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...