Two recent items in the news point to the state of the economy in New Albany and Union County. First, our unemployment rate in Union County for June is 6.9 percent, which is the lowest among all the counties in Northeast Mississippi. Lafayette County has historically had the lowest rate. Lafayette’s rate is 7.4 percent. […]
About New Albany Gazette
Author Archive | New Albany Gazette
Baptist Medical Group-New Albany Pediatrics and Baptist Medical Group-New Albany Surgical Associates will go live Friday, Aug. 1, with Baptist OneCare, Baptist’s new electronic health record that began rolling out in phases throughout the 14-hospital system in January 2014. Through Baptist OneCare, patients of the respective groups will have access to MyChart, a free app […]
The fourth annual Arts, Beats & Eats, one of New Albany’s best social events, is just a couple of days away. It’s set for 5 to 8 p.m. Friday at the In Bloom event hall. We expect a big crowd will turn out for this somewhat dressy, upscale event that features juried artists, music, food […]
The hoopla surrounding the grand opening is over and now Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County’s new emergency department is busy with patients. The $12 million emergency department, located on the back side of the hospital campus, was scheduled to open at 6 a.m. Monday, but actually saw the first patient at 5:57 a.m. The modern facility […]
Let’s get right to the point: We don’t think the police department in Myrtle needs a drone. We were surprised to see in an item in the Gazette last week that the Town of Myrtle had decided to use $3,000 in federal tax money to purchase an unmanned aerial vehicle. These are not the kind […]
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi,” is under way at the fairgrounds in West New Albany. The traditional fair events are in full swing with a variety of activities as well as a full carnival. Today is Seniors Day and Youth Night with […]
Mississippi Main Street Association announced this past week that New Albany and 38 other cities have been designated as accredited National Main Street Programs for meeting the commercial district revitalization performance standards set by the National Main Street Center®. “We congratulate this year’s nationally accredited Main Street programs for their outstanding accomplishment in meeting the […]
Toyota Mississippi donates seven trial vehicles to local organizations BLUE SPRINGS, Miss. (July 8, 2014) – Four local organizations benefitted from the donation of vehicles from Toyota Mississippi today. The cars, valued at nearly $103,000 are one way Toyota Mississippi supports organizations in the community. Three Career and Technology Centers that serve Lee, Pontotoc and […]
The question of allowing the sale or consumption of beer and light wine (wine coolers) at special events on city property is expected to be on the August meeting agenda of the New Albany Board of Aldermen. Examples of such events cited by city officials include arts receptions or exhibit openings at the Union County […]
You would have had to be there. Just hearing the story retold doesn’t do it justice. But we’ll try. The New Albany Board of Aldermen spent part of its meeting last week discussing chickens and roosters in residential areas of the city. The topic came up because Ward One Alderman Jeff Olson asked that an […]
- McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results August 20, 2014
- Hawks fall 3-1 to Corinth on Willams’ homerun hit August 19, 2014
- Political tax talk August 20, 2014
- Dramatic Finish: Defensive hold lifts Bulldogs over Aggies August 20, 2014
- Urchins open season with Houlka Wildcats August 20, 2014
- Keep “Feet” on tour August 22, 2014
- CREATE program looks for ways to improve career readiness August 22, 2014
- County’s jobless rate lowest in north half of Mississippi August 22, 2014
- New Birth Community Church to hold open house Sunday August 22, 2014
- Lady Urchins drop two in Baldwyn softball tourney August 20, 2014
- Cecil: Will he be convinced if he loses again? I doubt i...
- Greyson McGrail: Homework Unlocked is also completely free and gear...
- Susan Jones: PLease know that lots of math teachers have put in...
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 2 years ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey
- Cecil on McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results
- Greyson McGrail on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Susan Jones on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Dan Dana, PhD on Thumbing to California
- David Lohr on A drone in Myrtle?