Man attempts to take car at knifepoint
A Memphis man was in Union County Jail Wednesday, accused of trying to take a car at knifepoint.
Jerry Martize Mason, 40, is charged with attempted armed robbery and his bond was set at $50,000.
Police investigator Jeff Chism said the incident happened about 4 a.m. Wednesday at the Kangaroo on Hwy. 15 South.
According to Chism, a local woman walked out the front door of the store where she was confronted by a black male who asked for her car keys.
“She said no and he produced a knife and asked again,” Chism said. “ She turned and ran into the store and called police.”
Officers arrived quickly and set up a perimeter and later found the suspect at the Pilot Truck Stop across the street. The knife used in the alleged robbery attempt was also recovered, Chism said.
The suspect was apparently just dropped off in New Albany and had no ties here as far as officers can determine. They were still looking into his background Wednesday afternoon.
About Lynn West
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...