Mayor reported doing well after freak accident
New Albany Mayor Tim Kent was reported recuperating at home and possibly will be allowed to return to work next week. The monthly meeting of the board of aldermen will be Tuesday.
Kent was airlifted to North Mississippi Medical Center Tuesday night, June 17, where he underwent emergency surgery following a freak accident.
He was struck in the neck by a four-inch piece of steel he was working with using a grinder, even though he was wearing protective gear.
Kent’s son, Austin, was in the shop when the accident occurred and immediately took the mayor to the emergency room at Baptist Memorial Hospital. There, after working to stabilize Kent, doctors determined he needed to be airlifted to Tupelo for surgery.
Kent’s injuries would have been much more severe if the path of the metal had been even an inch different, doctors said. They expressed concerns about possible nerve or voice box damage but none have been reported.
Kent was released from the hospital Thursday. The accident occurred as the mayor was in the process of restoring an old Jeep.
About Lynn West
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...