Schools having to make up for days lost to weather, biodiesel fire this week after Memorial Day
Both city and county schools missed days this year, mostly due to weather, and will have to make them up this week.
The county schools had missed two days earlier due to weather and Assistant Principal Ron Scott said at the time, “We made one up Monday, on Presidents Day…The tentative date to make up the other is May 27.” As a result, county students will have a full day of classes Tuesday, the day after Memorial Day, but school officials have also scheduled a 60-percent day for Wednesday, May 28.
That’s the week following graduation and the day after Memorial Day.
The alternative would have been to use Good Friday as a make-up day “and we’re not going to do that,” Scott said then.
New Albany students have three full days to make up: Tuesday, May 27, Wednesday, May 28 and Thursday, May 29.
They missed three days due to weather but missed a fourth because of the danger of toxic smoke from the biodiesel fire north of the high school in January.
One of the days was made up on Presidents Day, the same as the county schools.
City Superintendent Jackie Ford said school officials considered using Good Friday and the following day, Saturday, or part of spring break for make-up days but ultimately are using much the same plan as the county district.
About Lynn West
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault May 5, 2016
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures May 5, 2016
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas May 5, 2016
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7 May 5, 2016
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6 May 5, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6