Teacher of the Year
The selection of Mary Margarett King as the Mississippi Teacher of the Year is an honor for her, for her students, for New Albany Schools and for our community.
King, who teaches Advanced Placement English and a dual enrollment composition course for seniors at New Albany High School, was honored with a reception Wednesday in Jackson. The award is given by the state Department of Education.
She will represent the state in the National Teacher of the Year competition and travel to Washington, D.C., to meet President Obama and his wife at a recognition ceremony.
This is the first time that a New Albany teacher has been selected Teacher of the Year. King has spent her nine years as a teacher in the classroom at the school where she herself graduated from high school.
Her commitment to teaching is certainly something for others to model: “Throughout my primary and secondary schooling, I encountered numerous teachers who lived by the motto that ‘only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.’ School was more than a building; it was a place where my teachers believed in me and truly cared about me as an individual.”
King’s selection is a reminder to all of us not to take the quality of our school system for granted. We have only to look around at other communities in our state to know how fortunate we are in New Albany. Their contribution to our quality of life cannot be overlooked.
In becoming the state Teacher of the Year, Mary Margarett King is the public face of our community’s commitment to quality public schools. Congratulations to her and to all the teachers and staff who make New Albany a great place for children to get an education.
About New Albany Gazette
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...