Teacher of the Year
The selection of Mary Margarett King as the Mississippi Teacher of the Year is an honor for her, for her students, for New Albany Schools and for our community.
King, who teaches Advanced Placement English and a dual enrollment composition course for seniors at New Albany High School, was honored with a reception Wednesday in Jackson. The award is given by the state Department of Education.
She will represent the state in the National Teacher of the Year competition and travel to Washington, D.C., to meet President Obama and his wife at a recognition ceremony.
This is the first time that a New Albany teacher has been selected Teacher of the Year. King has spent her nine years as a teacher in the classroom at the school where she herself graduated from high school.
Her commitment to teaching is certainly something for others to model: “Throughout my primary and secondary schooling, I encountered numerous teachers who lived by the motto that ‘only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.’ School was more than a building; it was a place where my teachers believed in me and truly cared about me as an individual.”
King’s selection is a reminder to all of us not to take the quality of our school system for granted. We have only to look around at other communities in our state to know how fortunate we are in New Albany. Their contribution to our quality of life cannot be overlooked.
In becoming the state Teacher of the Year, Mary Margarett King is the public face of our community’s commitment to quality public schools. Congratulations to her and to all the teachers and staff who make New Albany a great place for children to get an education.
About New Albany Gazette
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer