A classic hotbed
The New Albany Hotbed Classic, which has become one of northeast Mississippi’s premiere prep sports events, had another successful outing Saturday at Memorial Gym on the New Albany Middle School campus.
“The Hotbed, often imitated, never duplicated” is the motto of the event, and the tournament, which is sponsored by New Albany Kiwanis Club, has lived up to its reputation.
The 23rd annual event featured 16 boys’ basketball teams in eight games that for the most part were close and exciting to watch.
A number of members of the Kiwanis club volunteer at the tournament, but the driving forces of the tournament for years have been Mike Nobles of BNA Bank and Bill Parks of Parks Chevrolet, Buick and GMC.
Nobles started working with the tournament in 1999, and has headed it up since 2003. Parks and other club members decided to organize a tournament after hearing a speaker at a club meeting in 1990 talk about wanting to put New Albany on the map as a sports town.
Nobles plans to turn the reins over to David Goode of the New Albany campus of Northeast Mississippi Community College to be the lead organizer of next year’s event.
The tournament is more than basketball games. It’s a significant charity event that provides between $10,000 and $12,000 each year for various causes including college scholarships given to students in the New Albany and Union County schools.
We thank Nobles for his leadership and look forward to another terrific Hotbed next year.
About New Albany Gazette
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...