Taking care of newborns
Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County has taken new steps to provide more services to newborns at the hospital.
The announcement of a partnership between Baptist and North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo to enhance neonatal services is good news for those women having babies here in New Albany.
Under the program, a remotely controlled robot allows a neonatologist in Tupelo to examine infants at the hospital in New Albany almost as if he were in the room with the infant.
“This partnership will enhance the services we offer newborns, particularly those who need intensive care,” Walter Grace, administrator at the New Albany hospital, said. “Patients can now receive this service without leaving New Albany.
“The evaluation will come from physicians trained specifically to handle the most complex and high-risk situations in newborns.”
Baptist delivered more than 1,100 babies last year. About 10 percent of babies need some sort of intensive care, according to Dr. Bryan Darling, neonatologist at the Tupelo hospital.
The announcement of this additional service for newborns comes as the New Albany hospital is completing a $12 million addition that will add a new emergency room to the facility.
Baptist continues to make the kinds of strides that will keep it a successful and growing community non-profit hospital.
Baptist’s success is important to our community’s growth and vitality.
About New Albany Gazette
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer