New Albany overwhelms Tishomingo County in soccer
by Dennis Clayton
New Albany defeated Tishomingo County by large margins on Friday night, but the matches took differing ways to arrive at the final scores. New Albany girls scored early and often to race to a commanding lead at half. New Albany boys held a narrow lead at half, but reeled off six second half goals to win going away. New Albany improved to 2-0 in the division for both the girls and boys teams.
New Albany 11, Tishomingo County 0 (girls)
The Lady Bulldogs wasted little time getting on the boards and easily coasted to an 11-0 win. Sanders Goode put the Lady Bulldogs ahead in the first minute with her goal and Katelyn Watson scored in the third minute to extend the lead to 2-0.
The Lady Bulldogs went up 3-0 in the sixth minute on Hannah Anderson’s goal. Less than a minute later, Perla Vargas found the net for a goal and in minute eight, Sanders Goode scored her second goal of the half to push the lead to 5-0.
The scoring subsided for a few minutes until Carly Hill scored at minute 13 and Kristen Olson followed with a goal in minute 15 and the lead went to 7-0. Hill scored her second goal of the half at the 33 minute mark and Josi Hill capped the scoring for the first half with her goal inside five minutes before half. New Albany took a 9-0 lead at half.
Carly Hill completed the hat trick with her third goal in the second half and Alexis Mayo also added a goal.
New Albany 8, Tishomingo County 2 (boys)
New Albany and Tish County battled in a closely contested first half and the teams went to half with New Albany holding a 2-1 advantage. Eduardo Zaragoza scored in the 10th minute to give the Bulldogs the early lead. Tish County came back to tie at the 25 minute mark. New Albany regained the lead on Casey Whiteside’s soft lofted shot over the defender at the 30th minute.
New Albany came out a different team in the second half and stayed on the attack for the majority of the period. Zach McDonald had a hand in the first two goals in the half as he scored in the 45th minute to up the lead to 3-1 and McDonald’s cross to Bryce Collins resulted in Collins’ goal in the 54th minute.
Eduardo Zaragoza picked up his second goal of the match at the 64th minute and Grant Hogue finished on a bounding ball in front of the net to push the lead to 6-1 in the 69th minute.
Jose Favela was good on a penalty kick after a foul in the box in the 71st minute to make the score 7-1. Tish County scored in the 76th minute, but Grant Hogue came back with his second goal on the night just before the whistle to make the final 8-2.
Coach Caryl Vogel commented after the match “The girls came out and did what they had to do. We weren’t sure what type of team Tish would have, but we came out and dominated play from the beginning and set the tone early on for the game. We also got to play some of our younger players and that is always good for the development of our program.”
Vogel said “The boys had a sluggish first half, but we got our minds right at halftime and came out and put in six goals in the second half. Nice showing from a lot of players and we really had a lot of players step up and shoulder the weight in the game. It’s nice to be 2-0 in division.”
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Saturday is deadline for voter registration for Nov. 3 election September 30, 2015
- Supervisors get update on debts owed to county October 2, 2015
- Witt named to NEMCC Hall of Fame October 2, 2015
- Low unemployment rate continues for county October 2, 2015
- Second Rubber Duck Regatta called success October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins drop Mooreville from unbeaten ranks October 3, 2015
- Saturday noon is voter registration deadline October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins secure division title with win over Baldwyn October 2, 2015
- Fast start gives Urchins win in division opener October 2, 2015
- Accolade for Baptist October 2, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league east union East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured friday night lights Hickory Flat Basketball Hickory Flat High School Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs sports Union County Union County Softball Union County sports West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on