New Albany drops pair to Starkville in soccer
By Dennis Clayton
New Albany hosted the Starkville Yellowjackets on Saturday and the visitors came away with the sweep. Starkville won the girls match 3-0 and the boys 4-0.
In the girls match, the teams battled through a scoreless 30 minutes of play before Starkville’s Hannah Laird found the net at the 31st minute. The teams went to half with that score.
Starkville netted another goal in the 57th minute as Kate Mattox scored. The Lady Yellowjackets posted their final goal at the 70 minute mark.
New Albany was able to make some runs attacking the goal, but just could not push a shot through. The Lady Bulldogs rattled a shot off the crossbar in the opening period, missing a goal by mere inches.
Starkville boys took the early lead in minute 13 as Arman Borazjani scored. Starkville wasted litte time as they followed that with a Christian Kingery score at the 18 minute mark.
Starkville took a 3-0 lead into the half as Vance Dewberry found the back of the net at the 34th minute.
Starkville closed the scoring at minute 63 with a goal by Rylan Moore. Although New Albany came up on the losing end, both matches provided the tough competition necessary to propel New Albany to success in division play. Starkville is in Class 6A while New Albany is 4A.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Burdette to lead Bulldogs May 19, 2015
- State of the Region meeting set for Wednesday May 22, 2015
- MHP to step up enforcement over holiday weekend May 22, 2015
- Kids’ cooking class offered next week May 22, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...
Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league east union East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured friday night lights Hickory Flat Basketball Hickory Flat High School Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs sports Union County Union County sports West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball