New Albany drops pair to Starkville in soccer
By Dennis Clayton
New Albany hosted the Starkville Yellowjackets on Saturday and the visitors came away with the sweep. Starkville won the girls match 3-0 and the boys 4-0.
In the girls match, the teams battled through a scoreless 30 minutes of play before Starkville’s Hannah Laird found the net at the 31st minute. The teams went to half with that score.
Starkville netted another goal in the 57th minute as Kate Mattox scored. The Lady Yellowjackets posted their final goal at the 70 minute mark.
New Albany was able to make some runs attacking the goal, but just could not push a shot through. The Lady Bulldogs rattled a shot off the crossbar in the opening period, missing a goal by mere inches.
Starkville boys took the early lead in minute 13 as Arman Borazjani scored. Starkville wasted litte time as they followed that with a Christian Kingery score at the 18 minute mark.
Starkville took a 3-0 lead into the half as Vance Dewberry found the back of the net at the 34th minute.
Starkville closed the scoring at minute 63 with a goal by Rylan Moore. Although New Albany came up on the losing end, both matches provided the tough competition necessary to propel New Albany to success in division play. Starkville is in Class 6A while New Albany is 4A.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
east union East Union baseball East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins featured ingomar Ingomar Baseball Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany soccer New Albany Softball sports Union County union county prep sports Union County Softball Union County sports West Union West Union Baseball West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2