By Dennis Clayton
New Albany and Caledonia squared off in soccer at the Tupelo soccer tournament last week with the girls taking a 4-0 win and the boys falling 4-3.
In girls action, New Albany used a strong start in the first half as they sprinted out to a 3-0 first half lead.
Scorers for New Albany during the half were Katelyn Watson, Hannah Anderson and Kristen Olson. New Albany’s offense kept up steady pressure on the Caledonia defense as they stayed on the attack.
The second half saw the Lady Bulldogs keeping up the attack, with most of the action on the Caledonia defensive end. Katelyn Watson added a second goal on the night in the half. Coach Caryl Vogel was able to give some of his younger players some playing time after the Lady Bulldogs extended the lead to 4-0.
In the boys match, Caledonia scored three goals early in the match to take the lead into the half. Caledonia added a fourth goal in the second half to stretch their lead.
Caledonia seemed to have the match in hand with the 4-1 lead, but the Bulldogs fought back to cut the lead to 4-3 late in the contest. New Albany kept up the pressure, but couldn’t find the net for the tying goal before the match ended and lost 4-3.
New Albany takes a split in soccer with Caledonia
By Dennis Clayton
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Annual New Haven fish fry is next Wednesday May 15, 2015
- City schools hire new basketball coach, variety of administrative, teaching and other coaching positions filled May 20, 2015
- Gazette, governmental offices to close for Memorial Day May 20, 2015
- East Union wraps up spring football with scrimmages May 20, 2015
- Gazette, government offices will close Monday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...