By Dennis Clayton
New Albany and Caledonia squared off in soccer at the Tupelo soccer tournament last week with the girls taking a 4-0 win and the boys falling 4-3.
In girls action, New Albany used a strong start in the first half as they sprinted out to a 3-0 first half lead.
Scorers for New Albany during the half were Katelyn Watson, Hannah Anderson and Kristen Olson. New Albany’s offense kept up steady pressure on the Caledonia defense as they stayed on the attack.
The second half saw the Lady Bulldogs keeping up the attack, with most of the action on the Caledonia defensive end. Katelyn Watson added a second goal on the night in the half. Coach Caryl Vogel was able to give some of his younger players some playing time after the Lady Bulldogs extended the lead to 4-0.
In the boys match, Caledonia scored three goals early in the match to take the lead into the half. Caledonia added a fourth goal in the second half to stretch their lead.
Caledonia seemed to have the match in hand with the 4-1 lead, but the Bulldogs fought back to cut the lead to 4-3 late in the contest. New Albany kept up the pressure, but couldn’t find the net for the tying goal before the match ended and lost 4-3.
New Albany takes a split in soccer with Caledonia
By Dennis Clayton
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Local artist Katherine Dye talks about new book July 24, 2015
- Tipping my cap to a day of golf July 29, 2015
- Arts, Beats and Eats July 29, 2015
- ‘Robin Hood’ to be presented at civic center this weekend July 31, 2015
- Ingomar Baptist Church breaks ground for new sanctuary July 31, 2015
- Back to school time July 31, 2015
- Only three days left to campaign before party primaries Tuesday July 31, 2015
- Potts Camp native turns love of animals into international career and work preserving species July 31, 2015
- Take advantage of tax holiday to save on fall clothes July 31, 2015
- Airport receives state transportation grant for hangar improvement July 31, 2015
Subscribe to Blog via Email
© 2015 New Albany Gazette. All Rights Reserved.