We hope you will pause a moment in your day Monday to honor all those who have served in our armed forces.
It is Veterans Day.
The main observance here will be handled by the American Legion Potter-Henry-Lowrey Post 72 and will be at noon at the Union County Courthouse.
Veterans Day and Memorial Day are often confused. Veterans Day celebrates the service of all military veterans while Memorial Day honors only those who died while serving in the armed forces.
Both are federal holidays, but Memorial Day is much more widely recognized by the general population because many companies provide it has a paid day off. Veterans Day is a holiday for government and bank employees, but for most of us, it’s a regular day at work.
Veterans Day only got its name in 1954, when then President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed into law a bill that changed Armistice Day to Veterans Day. Armistice Day dates to 1919, when it was first proclaimed by President Woodrow Wilson. It became a federal holiday in 1938.
At the beginning, it recognized the formal ending of hostilities in World War I, which occurred at the 11th hour of the 11th day of November in 1918.
On Monday, we hope you will take a moment to think about all our veterans.
They have been the group that has done its duty when called throughout our country’s history, in war and in peace.
Join us in honoring them.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...