By Dennis Clayton
East Union had hopes of notching their second division win of the season on Friday, but Mantachie’s Dustin Carrell would have none of it as he led his Mantachie Mustangs to a 42-14 win. Carrell had a hand in every Mustang touchdown in addition to kicking the PAT’s.
Mantachie scored three touchdowns in the first quarter as Carrell ran for two touchdowns and sandwiched in a touchdown pass to Nick Burns to help the Mustangs race to the early 21-0 lead.
East Union slowed the scoring in the second period as Mantachie only managed a Carrell-to-Chris Bruff touchdown of 10 yards and the teams went to half with Mantachie leading 28-0.
Carrell found his groove again in the third quarter as he scored on a 15-yard run and passed to Bruff from five yards out to up the Mustang lead to 42-0 after three quarters.
East Union scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter as Blake Spruill ran 57 yards for a touchdown and Jamie McCullough had a 16-yard touchdown run. That closed the scoring on the night and Mantachie won 42-14. The win upped the Mustangs record to 7-3 and 3-1 in division. East Union fell to 6-3 and 1-3 in division. East Union must win Friday at Hatley to make the playoffs as the number-four team from the division. Hatley defeated New Site 35-20 on Friday and are also 1-3 in the division. Kickoff at Hatley is 7:00.
East Union falls in final home game of season
By Dennis Clayton
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Burdette to lead Bulldogs May 19, 2015
- State of the Region meeting set for Wednesday May 22, 2015
- MHP to step up enforcement over holiday weekend May 22, 2015
- Kids’ cooking class offered next week May 22, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...