By Dennis Clayton
East Union had hopes of notching their second division win of the season on Friday, but Mantachie’s Dustin Carrell would have none of it as he led his Mantachie Mustangs to a 42-14 win. Carrell had a hand in every Mustang touchdown in addition to kicking the PAT’s.
Mantachie scored three touchdowns in the first quarter as Carrell ran for two touchdowns and sandwiched in a touchdown pass to Nick Burns to help the Mustangs race to the early 21-0 lead.
East Union slowed the scoring in the second period as Mantachie only managed a Carrell-to-Chris Bruff touchdown of 10 yards and the teams went to half with Mantachie leading 28-0.
Carrell found his groove again in the third quarter as he scored on a 15-yard run and passed to Bruff from five yards out to up the Mustang lead to 42-0 after three quarters.
East Union scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter as Blake Spruill ran 57 yards for a touchdown and Jamie McCullough had a 16-yard touchdown run. That closed the scoring on the night and Mantachie won 42-14. The win upped the Mustangs record to 7-3 and 3-1 in division. East Union fell to 6-3 and 1-3 in division. East Union must win Friday at Hatley to make the playoffs as the number-four team from the division. Hatley defeated New Site 35-20 on Friday and are also 1-3 in the division. Kickoff at Hatley is 7:00.
East Union falls in final home game of season
By Dennis Clayton
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Kiwanis Hotbed January 23, 2015
- Hancock enters supervisor, District 1 race January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co. to build new warehouse January 28, 2015
- Retail Strategies January 28, 2015
- New bladder pacemaker offers help with incontinence January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...