By Dennis Clayton
East Union had hopes of notching their second division win of the season on Friday, but Mantachie’s Dustin Carrell would have none of it as he led his Mantachie Mustangs to a 42-14 win. Carrell had a hand in every Mustang touchdown in addition to kicking the PAT’s.
Mantachie scored three touchdowns in the first quarter as Carrell ran for two touchdowns and sandwiched in a touchdown pass to Nick Burns to help the Mustangs race to the early 21-0 lead.
East Union slowed the scoring in the second period as Mantachie only managed a Carrell-to-Chris Bruff touchdown of 10 yards and the teams went to half with Mantachie leading 28-0.
Carrell found his groove again in the third quarter as he scored on a 15-yard run and passed to Bruff from five yards out to up the Mustang lead to 42-0 after three quarters.
East Union scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter as Blake Spruill ran 57 yards for a touchdown and Jamie McCullough had a 16-yard touchdown run. That closed the scoring on the night and Mantachie won 42-14. The win upped the Mustangs record to 7-3 and 3-1 in division. East Union fell to 6-3 and 1-3 in division. East Union must win Friday at Hatley to make the playoffs as the number-four team from the division. Hatley defeated New Site 35-20 on Friday and are also 1-3 in the division. Kickoff at Hatley is 7:00.
East Union falls in final home game of season
By Dennis Clayton
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley to hold Union County town hall meeting February 25, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Urchins fall to Chieftains’ scoring surge February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...