By Dennis Clayton
East Union had hopes of notching their second division win of the season on Friday, but Mantachie’s Dustin Carrell would have none of it as he led his Mantachie Mustangs to a 42-14 win. Carrell had a hand in every Mustang touchdown in addition to kicking the PAT’s.
Mantachie scored three touchdowns in the first quarter as Carrell ran for two touchdowns and sandwiched in a touchdown pass to Nick Burns to help the Mustangs race to the early 21-0 lead.
East Union slowed the scoring in the second period as Mantachie only managed a Carrell-to-Chris Bruff touchdown of 10 yards and the teams went to half with Mantachie leading 28-0.
Carrell found his groove again in the third quarter as he scored on a 15-yard run and passed to Bruff from five yards out to up the Mustang lead to 42-0 after three quarters.
East Union scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter as Blake Spruill ran 57 yards for a touchdown and Jamie McCullough had a 16-yard touchdown run. That closed the scoring on the night and Mantachie won 42-14. The win upped the Mustangs record to 7-3 and 3-1 in division. East Union fell to 6-3 and 1-3 in division. East Union must win Friday at Hatley to make the playoffs as the number-four team from the division. Hatley defeated New Site 35-20 on Friday and are also 1-3 in the division. Kickoff at Hatley is 7:00.
East Union falls in final home game of season
By Dennis Clayton
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Saturday is deadline for voter registration for Nov. 3 election September 30, 2015
- Supervisors get update on debts owed to county October 2, 2015
- Witt named to NEMCC Hall of Fame October 2, 2015
- Low unemployment rate continues for county October 2, 2015
- Second Rubber Duck Regatta called success October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins drop Mooreville from unbeaten ranks October 3, 2015
- Saturday noon is voter registration deadline October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins secure division title with win over Baldwyn October 2, 2015
- Fast start gives Urchins win in division opener October 2, 2015
- Accolade for Baptist October 2, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on